Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC TAC - Not giving Credit where credit is due?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by jdkarmch, Jul 6, 2012.

1. TAC are promoting the fact that "Today's road toll from midnight last night is 143, down 10% compared to the same time last year. More info here http://bit.ly/M6AWOM" on their Facebook site for the second week in a row.

TAC gives an impression that its the majority of drivers who have driven the toll down, when in reality the toll for car drivers (up 3%) and bicycle riders (up 25%!!!) tells us a completely different picture. Just have a look at the official stats - its there in Black and White.

I have posted a comment two weeks in a row, suggesting that they should give some credit, where credit is due:

Anyone agree with me? Care to join me and add to my remarks?

• Like Like x 1
  2. self serving bureaucrats that twist and falsify numbers as a means to their own ends - that is keeping themselves employed
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah I don't know about that approach John...

On the one hand we're trying to tell the TAC not to underestimate the role of SMIDSY in terms of causing accidents. To take credit for a reduction in accidents seems a bit like riders want credit for the good but shifting blame for the bad? I'm not sure we can have it both ways.

- Ross
  4. John, the data in that link will change. Here's a screen shot - click to open.

20120706 TAC SAFETY STATS_1.

The vast majority of the reductions is from riders and passengers.

If more drivers have been killed, it would appear that fewer of them were carrying passengers at the time - how is that due to good policing or programs?

Motorcyclists have had a similar or lower road toll in 2006, 2007 and 2009, so it makes me wonder whether these numpties understand statistical variation or not?

Be wary about the percentages of smaller contributors to the toll, they are very susceptible to small variations.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Interestingly, they put out a media release last month concerned about a rising injury rate: http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/jsp/conte...000101A5D19311EC6AC2&navLink=null&pageID=2259

I'm sure some of the steady increase in the last three years is due to more vehicles on the roads, but I wonder whether it also reflects the better occupancy protections in cars these days meaning that the likelihood of injury has increased whilst the likelihood of death has decreased. So perhaps all we're seeing is a technology driven shift?

Edit: The safety stats report that is linked in the press release absolutely confirms that motorcycle serious injuries have been stagnant for the last three years. So much for Janet Dore's press releases a month or two back painting MC's with a disastrously rising injury level.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. #6 ShinobiWan, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Was it injury rates or injury costs she was referring to?

Though in any case, unless car injury rates have been dropping (and you have already shown that they aren't) that increase in costs would be heavily overshadowed by the increase in costs associated with car injuries.

One has to suspect (at best) that the TAC don't actually seriously consult their own data before making such statements. :/

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650L.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Hmmm - its a funny one isn't it.

My point was the fact that they were claiming something, that was really a true reflection of reality.

TAC are patting themselves on the back because there has been a decrease - without having been 100% truthful about where that decrease originates.

While I love the fact that you have pulled up all these figures and addressed it in such detail Rob - I think you missed the intention of my raising this subject here....

All I wanted to see was people going to the TAC Facebook page and backing up what I said - that is, if they agree with me........
  8. Rob - now go to their Facebook Site and post that comment there!!!!!
  9. Happy to, when I get anywhere near facebook.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ffs John stop spamming the page we get it!!!

Tapatalking from somewhere, maybe even behind you so look out!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Statistical variation - that's caused by speeding isn't it?
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Where have they given you the impression that it's drivers who have driven the toll down? The word is not even used, and furthermore, they
    provide the same link you gave in OP for more info.

How so? They provided a link to statistics.

How many more times do you need to post a link to the same facebook page which a small number of people keep track of? If you want to get
    your message out to the masses, go back to getting yourself on '3AW with Neil Mitchell' and the 'Herald Sun'.