Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

T2, T3 ? - For a Bike or Not ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by kazjim, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Hey all, I've recently changed my trip to work to no-longer go through Chatswood, but rather Ryde (its about 10 mins quicker - most of the time)

One thing worries me, i often sit in the far laft lane, which is designated a T2 or T3 - having never come across these "Special" lanes before I treat them as a Bus lane, ie - something a Bike can go in....

Am i deluding myself ?

Its "Been a few years" since i had to know this (ie, 1991?) and having never driven on one, just havnt had the exposure to it...

Little Help ?
    Maybe help me avoid future fines ?
    J

2. rta.nsw.gov.au - read your road users handbook - it answers questions like this and is the reason it exists!

(yes you are allowed to use a transit lane on a bike)

3. both transit lanes and bus lanes are ok - the only exception are the bus lanes that are marked 'buses only'.

4. I was worried you were talking about turbos for a second

5. No such thing as a T2 :D

6. i think they used them on the Pulsar ET and EXA turbos actually?

7. T3 bus lanes etc...

josh909 wrote
    As a Sydney city rider (insane I know) I am constantly scowling at the Bus Lane while I sit behind an expensive cage the size of two football fields, driven by a single mobile phone using suited chap.....

.. so I looked up the Bus Lane rules and from my interpretation the RTA seemed very clear that bikes are not allowed in Bus Lanes (other than usual turning rules etc..)

Section 154 Bus lanes
    (1) A driver (except the driver of a public bus) must not drive in a bus lane, unless the driver is permitted to drive in the bus lane under rule 158 (the turning rule etc..)

I know you mentioned something about lanes marked 'buses only' but if it's a bus lane it's always marked (bloody great red paint in the case of Sydney) as well as the bus signs marking the begining and end.

The only different case I can think of is the SH bridge and to my knowledge that's the only place where they have a lane for buses and cabs etc.. and whilst it's been a while since I went over in a bike and was paying attention, I think that the sign changes based on the time of day (ie buses only for certain times, others allowed outside of those times)

This may be exactly what you were saying but I just thought I'd see if I can clear the waters a little for the average bus lane across Sydney or muddy the waters if this is what you meant anyway :D

8. taken from: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficinformation/buses/buslanes.html...

Bus lanes and bus only lanes

'Bus lanes' are specially marked lanes that can only be used by buses, taxis, hire cars, motorcycles and bicycles. They are used on roads which provide a high level of priority for buses.

'Bus only lanes' are a special form of bus lane restricted to buses. Examples of bus only lanes can be found on the Liverpool to Parramatta T-Way route in south western Sydney.

Sydney has had bus lanes in place since late 1992 when the first bus lane was introduced on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The 75 kilometre network of bus lanes currently include:

* Parramatta Road from Leichhardt to Broadway.
    * Warringah Freeway, North Sydney and Military Road, Neutral Bay.
    * Oxford Street, Darlinghurst and the Moore Park Busway. .
    * The M2 Motorway.
    * Sunnyholt Road, Blacktown.
    * Holker Street, Homebush Bay.
    * Elizabeth, George and York Streets, Sydney.
    * Burnt Bridge Creek Deviation, Balgowlah and Manly Road, Balgowlah.

To make them more identifiable for motorists (and following trials showing significantly improved compliance) bus lanes are now being coloured red.

Advertising campaigns have been undertaken to increase driver awareness of:

* Red bus lanes.
    * The rules relating to the use of bus lanes.
    * The penalties for driving or parking in bus lanes.
    * Road courtesy.

Monitoring bus lanes

To ensure they are used correctly the RTA is implementing a bus lane monitoring system.

Digital cameras mounted over bus lanes and bus only lanes use optical character recognition (OCR) technology to read the number plates of vehicles travelling in those lanes.

The system will determine if the vehicle is legally entitled to use the lane and unauthorised vehicles will be monitored.

If the vehicle has travelled in the bus lane for longer than the allowed distance (i.e. 100 metres for the purpose of making a turn) a second camera, a minimum of 100 metres down the road, will take a photo of the vehicle for infringement purposes and the appropriate fine and demerit points penalty will be issued.

no longer sit behind those cagers my friend! :D

9. Nope.
    T28. :D