Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

T. E. Lawrence - a great man

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mattb, Jan 19, 2006.

1. I'm related to that bloke! Me Nanna's a Lawrence, from Chepstoe, in Wales, which is where T.E.Lawrence was from.

...funny, I was always called "Laurence of Arabia" in school, heh!
  2. He enjoyed camping out with the Arabs.....
  3. ...Great reading, too, this guy was passionate all right!
  4. I kinda liked the loozobear name :p :grin:
  5. Sorry matey, it was an assumed name... he was born a Simpson.
    (He was however, related by de facto relationship to the Lawrence family).
  6. You're askin' for it, "Lack Booty!"
  7. Hmm, I oughtta check that out. I thought he was an illegitimate Lawrence or something.

Ain't gonna stop me telling bored-looking sheilas at parties!
  8. To be honest, I can't recall the exact details. You may be right, as he was most certainly illegitimate. I've got a copy of Seven Pillars of Wisdom if you want to check out the introduction, which does explain his rather unusual family history.
    Fascinating read. Nothing in it about bikes, though.
  9. Love to check it out Titus. You don't make it to coffee much do you?
  10. Not very often, unfortunately. You're not far away IIRC. I'll dig it out, and PM you.
  11. Sweet, thanks mate.
  12. As Brother Eazy often reminds me;

"When in doubt Lawrence; do nothing."

13. I just went and borrowed a copy of that (every copy was out except for the massive 1935 edition!). The website quotes from a work of Lawrence's entitled 'The Road', which I suspect may say a bit - or probably a whole lot - about riding. Unfortunately, no university library in Victoria (via Coolcat) has a copy. Does anybody know anything about that book?
  14. he was also a liar and a sensationalist. but he was certainly good at whatever he put his hand to.
  15. He was a typical Netrider? :grin: