Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Symptoms of Wrong plug heat range ?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by kazjim, Apr 11, 2006.

1. It all began innocently enough "I'll have two new plugs for my VZ800, Thanks"

several months later, i finally get around to fitting them (hey, I'm busy, OK ?)

the bike feels instantly better, more responsive, happier...

Ride it to work (80Klm @110kph) - started feeling "lumpy" and fat in traffic, almost as if it was running real rich, but no carb settings were touched....

I have to say, it still feels great around town, but after a blast on the freeway it just doesnt feel "right" - hell, maybe I'm just being paranoid...

Now I'm thinking that maybe he gave me the wrong plugs, never even thought to check the range of the new ones, just whacked them in !

No Major Mods, pretty much stock apart from a set of "sorta-open" Magnum slash-cut pipes

Anyone else get this kind of thing ?

2. Hotter plugs can be just teh thing in an engine for toling around town, but can overheat at higher speds. Go for a run on the freway (take a plug spanner with you) and pull a plug when it starts farting around. A white ceramic on the plug means it';'s running to hot. The ceramic should be a light to meduim tan colour if it's right, or if it's rich it wil be dark brown/ black.

Regards, Andrew.

3. Second that. Pull one and check. I do find the modern fuels tend to look a bit richer on the plug, but a hot plug will still look white/greyish