Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sydney's Degrading Air Quality

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by bradc1988, Feb 14, 2013.

1. So I did a quick search on this and nothing came up.

Has anyone noticed the declining quality of air when out riding? I've only been riding for close to 4 years now but over the past year or so there has been a noticable increase in crap in the air.

I might be a little more sensistive because I have mild hay fever, but the short 15km trip to work will sometimes see me turn up with a build up of black gunk in the corner of my eyes. I can actually feel the particulates hit my eyes.

Anyone else notice this? Is it due to poorer petrol quality? More cars? Lack of rain to clear dust?

I think I might have to invest in some goggles as it's summer and I much prefer visor up!
  2. Try riding through the tunnels in melbourne!!
  3. Black particles are generally bits of rubber from tires. I think I remember hearing the average tire loses about 3kg in its life span. Bit of back of the envelope maths, say a car tire is replaced on average every 2 years, 4 per car, 2 million cars in Sydney = 12 000 tonnes of rubber going somewhere in Sydney each year = 185 tonnes of rubber a day, mostly turning into particles.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Jeeze what a crazy statistic! No wonder my eyes are getting so full of crap!