Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sydney to Canberra (and back again)

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by taymaishu, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Hi all,

So i'm planning to go to Canberra in the next month or two for the weekend.

My plan is to take Friday leave from work and ride down during the day. I have a feeling it's going to be a long, boring trip that I have to mix up with breaks every 45 mins or so. I used to do it straight in the car at any time of day (Sydney to Canberra at 4am on a Monday morning for example), without stops.

Obviously, I cannot do that on the 250R.

Question: I was wondering if you would advise that I split the trip up by doing some sections off-freeway (and taking longer), or leave around 10am as planned and just do it?

Question: If you would go off-freeway, what would you recommend in terms of a route?

Also i'll need some earplugs (Yoshi pipe + 250cc = no fun without earplugs for 3 hours).

Thanks so much,

2. Your plans match mine, I have to go down to Canberra to meet a couple of the Goonies in the next month or so.
    Let me know if you want to join me.
  3. Thanks Messedale - that's awesome.

@109er yes! Just waiting on the gasket to be delivered to Lloyd Penn, could take a few weeks.

Was planning on heading down on a Friday and back Sunday arvo. Would love to ride together!
  4. Sounds good, I'll PM you tomorrow.

5. That second route is unsealed in sections on turpentine road and braidwood road past nerriga I believe - may or may not be an issue for you.

I'd head down the coast, make a detour through macquarie pass and down through kangaroo valley. Head all the way down to batemans bay and up the kings highway into Canberra. (if you could be bothered)
  6. I would go via either Robertson or Oberon. Robertson is shorter by far but less interesting. Can take the back road into Canberra, either from moss vale or from Goulburn.