Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sydney Ring Road, anyone done it yet??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by pete the freak, Dec 22, 2005.

1. So I was watching on the news the other night just after they'd opened the new M7 toll road. Sydney now basically has a ringroad of tollroads stretching around it.

The reporter actually did the whole trip and once all the tolls are on (M7 is currently toll free) it'll cost $19 to do the whole thing (The guy on the news was in a car...) and takes about an hour.

Has anyone done the ring around Sydney yet?

How long will it be before GR comes down under and does it in 20mins...

Edit: it goes M7 - M5 - Eastern Distributor - M2

map here
  2. Will certainly make escaping from Eastern Creek back to Melbourne (the Hume) a lot easier.
  3. A mate and I did a lap of the M7 between Windsor Road and Moorebank and back again...

...it's a 38km stretch of dual carriageway, with on/off-ramps, sound barriers and lamposts and shit. It runs through suburbia.

As a means of getting interstate trucks passing through Sydney from Melbourne or Newcastle off the Cucumberland highway and Pennant Hills Road, it should be great, but it's not, exactly, much of a ride.
  4. Cucumberland? :shock: :LOL:
  5. Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of "Has anyone taken their plates off and done the loop at 240kph in 15mins at 3 in the morning?"

'Cause I'm tempted... Well obviously not at 240 but it'd be nice to be able to say that you can ride around the greater Sydney area in 15mins...
  6. Gromit, the Cumberland Highway basically runs between Hornsby and Parramatta....
  7. Erm, more like between Liverpool and Parramatta... then it teleports 3km to the east and keeps going, until it becomes Pennant Hills Rd for a while...

...that, and it sounds funnier when you call it the Cucumberland...
  8. Well, since the Lane Cove Tunnel, which links the M2 with the Gore Hill Freeway at Artarmon is still a work in progress, and will be for a while, the answer to that is probably "No"...

Problem is, they need to punch something through between the M2 and the start of the F6 at Hornsby. That way, intercity traffic will be able to pass right through Sydney without encountering a single traffic light.
  9. i read on another forum that until they get a motorcycle friendly e-tag that the M7 will be free for bikes :D
  10. And the sad thing is that in the early 70's the incoming NSW liberal government sold off all teh land the previous government (Wran government I think)had purchased to continue the Cahill expressway all the way to the F3. Imagine that, straight through Sydney, onto the M5 east and that's it. All could have happened 30 years ago.
    A customer of ours drives from Liverpool to Newcastle a fair bit, said it took a half hour off his drive in non peak hour times.
    By the way, if you ever happen to watch old episodes of Skippy, you can sometimes glimpse the "new" F3, with like two cars on it!
    I can remember as a young kid, the long queues of cars at Berowra I think, waiting to pay the F3 toll........

Regards, Andrew.
  11. Like Melbourne 8) But like Melbourne I bet they find them not wide enough when it matters... :(
  12. I think...Syd/Melb/& Brissy cameras rely on front plate pics??? if so..How Dumb... :roll:
  13. regrettably whatever gets done in Sydney now is going to lag behind the booming growth of car ownership and the increasing gridlock of our roads. Add to that the number of people commuting from as many as 120kms each way from OUTSIDE the Sydney basin, and it's doomed. The cynical and politically-driven sell off of the corridors has ensured that those links will now never be built.
  14. Except the City Link cameras in Melbourne now face both ways and they are trialling number plate recognition technology to eliminate the need for e-Tags completely :evil:
  15. Paul.
    Yup,Sad but true...
    ..then in 40yrs we run outa petrol...???