Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Sydney Motorcycle Cop doesn't want to be filmed by rider

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Mouth, Jul 5, 2015.

1. "Basically the officer was afraid to be recorded and I'm afraid to not be recorded. Its about being accountable.

Just for the record I understand police are just doing their job. But when you need to do an illegal u turn (yes I know police are allowed to turn like this legally, but seriously, lead by example) with out using your emergency lights to pull over a member of the public waiting at a red light, that's when they get a bad name. This officer had to split up the middle of traffic in order to pull me over (using his horn). It turns out he was under the impression I was in need of a Random breath test at 9am on my way to work.

So anyway, the gopro turned off before the breath test unfortunately but it did happen (he nearly made me deep thought it).

No tickets or fines, he just wanted all my details.

2. is that an approved tinted visor? :D
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. This is old. Police, like anyone else in a public place, or visible from a public place have no reasonable expectation to privacy, and therefore are subject to being recorded in still pics and video. It is usually only those police who want to say or do something they really shouldn't say or do who try and demand that people stop recording them to avoid accountability and transparency.

It became so much of an issue at one stage, the NSW Police Media unit released a statement confirming the right of the public to make such recordings.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. You handle that very well
  5. 1. He is riding a motovet 125. Essentially it's a road legal pit bike. If you ride that sort of bike your going to get both good and bad attention. The copper probably thought that the rego plate wasn't legit and thought he'd check it out. The guy had an interstate license further arousing suspicion. In the circumstances I would say nothing remotely controversial here.

2. If you've done nothing wrong dont try and play tough with a cop they have a book which they can fine you with, handcuffs and a jail.

Yes sir thank you sir and then be on your way. Why do people make it hard for themselves?
    • Agree Agree x 7
  6. The attitude test works both ways,I know who failed it in this case.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. I think what you say makes sense CBF'd, but on the other hand there is nothing wrong with standing up for your rights. The cop was basically bullying the guy when telling him to turn the camera off. He had no legal right to ask him to turn the camera off, he was just using his position of power to bully. You've got to question, why did he want the camera off?
    • Agree Agree x 5
  8. This bloke did nothing that even remotely looked like "playing tough" with a cop.

Why is disallowing a sworn officer the leeway to abuse his position turned around into "people making it hard for themselves" ?
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Because cops can be pricks. Sure, you may make your point several months down the track in front of a magistrate, but only after considerable expense that you may or may not get back.
  10. Alternatively, you make a civil/reasoned stance at the time that you will not accept bullying and then, slowly, others feel comfortable doing the same, with more videos demonstrating. After time, you have a general public and police force that has much more respect for each other, and equal accountability. When you have one side micro managing and power tripping (eg. nanny states and strong-arming police) then you have dissent, push-back, and force.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Hahaha.....pretty funny stuff.

"Turn it off, mate"
    "No, but thankyou...".....lol

Personally I think the rider here has done the right thing though the tone of the conversation could of been managed in a way to not get adversarial. But, that is a hard thing to do when the coppers are there breathing down your neck trying to put it over you.

This sort of behavior from coppers makes me sick to be honest. Sure there are much worse examples of a policeman using their authority to put it over someone, but this, at least IMO is worse as it reflects the persona of nearly every cop I've ever come across. The line the policeman dropped of "Do as you're told!!"......wtf?

Where does it say that a law abiding citizen who has done nothing wrong, in a free country has to comply with any random direction from the police force? That right there shows me that police think they can do whatever they want.

Police should be subjected to the law to the Nth degree due to their role and assumed authority.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Well yeh, it's great to dream isn't it.

I wouldn't have turned the camera off, but I wouldn't have started whining either. I would have told him to write me a fine if it's illegal and left it at that. All that video showed was someone who hasn't been pulled over very often and didn't know how to hold his ground properly.
  13. Don't coppers record you anyway (audio at least) without your notification or consent? When I've been to court these transcripts will be read out over the interaction & exactly what you said. ie: if you say "sorry" then you've all but admitted guilt.
  14. #14 chopper255, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
    An old video and nothing big. Simply put the officer was not fully aware that filming in public is legal. its been done before and will happen again that cops get flustered when put in situations like that. Just remember that they can also film you and don't turn it off. Ive got no issue with either party being filming and both made gooses of themselves to some degree.

Depends on what state you are in. You are advised in NSW as that is required under the relevevent acts that cover the recording devices they use.
  15. Thanks Chopper. Do you know if this applies even to RBT? I can't remember EVER been told I was being recorded whenever I've been pulled over for either speeding or the ol' 'random breath test'
  16. I (touch wood) have had minimal experiences like happened in the vid thank god! But I am very glad to have seen this though.
    I can get feisty if prodded enough and I reckon that guy did pretty bloody well there!
    Maybe I have been lucky, but all my dealings,especially professionally over the last 25+ years,with the police have been really great. That said, I have meet some policemen who were pricks with or without a uniform on and I wouldn't like to mess with them alone on a dark road alone...same with any profession.
    Yet to get pulled over on the bike, more from luck than law abiding riding :woot:
    I did get quite a scare in my car about 30 yrs back. I turned up a dark street, lights were all out, on my way home and suddenly got a siren blast. Lights flashing etc. so I pulled over thinking they wanted to get by but it was for me.
    I wasn't speeding, had indicated to turn etc etc. two policemen get out, TWO! I thought okay I'll just sit in the car. I was asked to get out if the car. WHY ? I was shit scared but stupidly I got out. They asked for my license rego papers. I stood there like a deaf mute! They checked me out not the car. Asked where I had been, where I was going ( ummm home which was like 300 m away !!!) which was obvious from the license FFS where did I work etc etc etc. on and on then they said okay. Thanks. Enjoy your evening.
    I really really felt physically threatened by these two guys...I wish I could have filmed it on a go pro and got them for sexual harassment. The tension was like from some horrible tv miniseries...I really really thought the whole time that something very unpleasant was about to happen to me.
    I was young then, tired from a busy shift and so rattled by this that I sat and cried in the car for a while :(
    When I got home I just shrugged my tears off as a bad shift.
    This police "interview" lasted about 10-15 minutes. To this day I don't know why I was pulled over. All my mates at work said dob them in as it was harassment. I spoke to a lovely police sarge who often came in after accident cases and he was appalled and wanted to follow up as he could find them through the LAC rosters.
    But I was worried that these guys knew too much about me now...then I thought what was I going to complain about...being questioned...being scared...what exactly? Seemed futile to bother with.
    But that was my only bad, scary experience. It was enough. I would refuse to get out if the car these days, ask to see their ID and pass stuff out through a partially wound down window of my locked car and photograph their plates and ID.
    I wouldn't tolerate that kinda macho shit these days.
  17. While I was watching that, I recalled case in Victoria where a police officer was convicted and expelled from the force for illegally applying discretion to a number of traffic offences, based upon video evidence amongst other things.
    I'm not saying that's what happened here, but perhaps there might be an element of camera-shyness amongst police that is not about the cop wanting to make it hard for the rider. Sometimes. Just sayin.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Yes unfortunately there are Dix in all professions and they are the ones that spoil it for the rest. Just look at that anesthetist that was paying out on old mate in the states last month when he was out to it for a colonoscopy, not only was old mate scared and vulnerable but she's now given her profession a bad name as it could happen anytime to any of us
  19. Good on you for standing up for yourself, especially knowing you had done nothing wrong and were targeted for no real reason. The copper knew full well before he pulled you over if the rego is legit, but wanted to be an arse about it.

It shits me hearing people about respect, copper got into the job knowing full well what it involves, If they don't like, quit! I recall being pulled over in a group, for allegedly doing the wrong thing. I argued my point to the point they called a senior officer and my friends thought I'd get arrested. Funnily enough, I was the only one who stood my ground as I knew I'd done nothing wrong and the good little sheeple who did as they were told all got fined for a bullshit reason!
  20. My last pull over started with I am Constable xx from xx command and I am recording this.He was an arrogant nob,first one I have struck in 20 years.Very hard to speak your mind with your license in his hand.I was lucky ,no fine for my poor attitude, my crime. Shaking my head when I realised it was an unmarked car parked behind a bush on The Old Rd.Got the lecture re sick of you types crashing up here ect ect.Some should do a differant job if its so horrible for them.