Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Sydney city parking ticket policy explained

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by dcart3r, Apr 2, 2008.

1. To Mods: Hope this post is OK in General as I'm trying to inform as many Sydneysiders as possible, not generate discussion on parking laws.

I got a ticket today for parking my bike at the end of Curtin Pl, which is the little lane next to Australia Square (the parking bay in that street fills up before 7am!). To be honest, I should have seen this coming as it was only yesterday that I parked there and thought to myself that there was very little room for pedestrians to get past. I'm not upset about the ticket since I was parked illegally, but I am pleased that an explanation note was left by the officer. I quote:

"Dear Sir/madam,
    I recently received a parking ticket for parking my motorcycle in Curtin Place.
    I have sent it to the Lord Mayor, Clover Moore.

I received another one several weeks ago and did the same thing.
    I have had a discussion with one of the parking rangers who advised my that it was council policy to encourage motorcycles and they have been told not to book illegally parked bikes unless there is a complaint, which would be marked on the ticket.
    That is if you are parked in front of building entry, etc.
    Best of luck. Jeff"
    (phone number omitted)

For those interested, here is a link to Google maps pointing out the location.
    http://tiny.cc/miFFI

My bike and several others that were parked on the road were all booked. I looked at the bikes and scooters parked on the footpath, hard up against the wall, and they did not appear to be booked. My interpretation of the note is that I can park anywhere that doesn't interfere with traffic, be it road or pedestrian, and isn't likely to be complained about.

Hopefully this helps out a few people who park in Sydney city and weren't fully aware of council policy (as I clearly wasn't).

Cheers and safe riding

2. yeah,you can park on footpath as long as you dont obsruct pedestrians. i never park on the road so some idiot doesnt back over my bike.

3. I wasn't aware of the policy regarding parking on footpaths. Just thought I was always lucky to not receive a ticket.
    Thanks for the info. Good to know.

4. are u sure about that? when i was in melbourne recently it looked like bikes were allowed to park in wider footpaths

not so in sydney?

also, is a ticket required for parking and if so where do u leave it? its not like u have a windscreen

5. ive asked several parking ??people?? and they have all said by order of clover moore bikes are allowed to park on footpath as long as you do not obstruct it..as for displaying a tickit"well i put it right here on my (seat,window,tank),dont know what could of happend to it" :grin:

6. You're allowed to park on the footpath in Melbourne, but not legally in Sydney.

From the comments received, no ticket is required for parking, just need to keep the bike out of the way.

Incidentally, the parking ticket was stuffed into my Oxford tailpack base.

7. Sounds good and reasonable, but I'd still need to confirm with the local council before believing it.

So if I call the council will they back these statements up?

Any chance of getting a scan of the letter the guy wrote?

8. I realize that you are talking about the city but what about residential. I live in Bondi and don't have a car space. Can I just park it on the street or do I need a parking permit.

9. The "letter" is merely a piece of paper that was attached to my parking fine, with 'Please read' written on it by hand in bold letters. I've quoted it word for word.

I would encourage anyone interested/curious/unsure to call Sydney Council to back these statements up.

10. Hey mate - i work in the building in front of the bikes and remember parking there one morning, 50cm outside of the signs. Got a ticket.

It would be interesting to see if this the official line, or something that a few rangers do on the sly out of sympathy for motorbike riders.

11. Yeah, In Melbourne as long as you aren't blocking pedestrians you are allowed to park on footpaths.

12. I live in Abbotsford, Vic so I also dont have a car space, and we have resident parking permits on my street... I park my bike in a car bay without a permit and so far the City of Yarra hasn't fined me.... Hopefully the council that covers Bondi (Presumably Bondi City Council???) is as lenient!

13. It's not just Melbourne - it's a state-wide rule...

197. Stopping on a path, dividing strip or nature strip
    (1) A driver must not stop on a bicycle path, footpath, shared path or dividing
    strip, or a nature strip adjacent to a length of road in a built-up area, unless—
    (a) the driver stops at a place on a length of road, or in an area, to which
    a parking control sign applies and the driver is permitted to stop at that
    place under the Road Rules; or
    (b) the driver’s vehicle is a motor cycle and the driver stops in a place
    where the motor cycle does not inconvenience, obstruct, hinder or
    prevent the free passage of any pedestrian or other vehicle
    ; or
    (c) the driver is using a vehicle for the purpose of the operation of a
    detection device prescribed for the purposes of section 66 of the Road
    Safety Act 1986

Guidelines here

There are revised guidelines coming out shortly but essentially they will just have more examples and will refer more to scooters than the current ones (Scooters are the main offenders for parking badly)

14. I've had one ticket only, while parked on the narrow footpath in the north end of the CBD, where MC parking is extremely scarce. I was in Phillip Ln, which is (was) chock full of bikes and scoots. Seems someone took exception and they went on a blitz.

I still see the bikes there now but less of them, and usually tucked in certain presumably tolerated spots. I pity the poor souls who copped multiple tickets while they played trial-and-error to find them ...

I also talked to one of the parking inspectors near where I live for some perspective. The gist of what he said is that most rangers are reasonable people and will try to err on the side of motorcyclists, since they know we cause less congestion - but there are pricks in any walk of life, so caveat motor.

He also said they *generally* won't bother us about those disposable tickets. I haven't bought one in a year of riding and parking a lot in inner Sydney, and haven't had a problem, but I try to be at least thoughtful and tend not to park supra-legally for hours at a time.

It's probably worth you trying to talk to an enforcer in the area you're curious about, since I reckon it varies quite a bit between councils and imparts regional flavour.

On the balance I think that you might cop the odd ticket occasionally, out of bad luck which you can minimise by not being a tit. If you play your cards right over the long run it shouldn't add up to much ... and, if the OP is correct, and they *will* only book you on the footpath if someone complains, remember there are nasty beady eyed little people everywhere - so that comes out as just another shade of luck in my books.

Manage it as best you can, and share any actual information you come across :)

15. I sure as hell would not count on that. Bondi council is one of the most ruthless money hungry councils you could find anywhere. If you park on the street in Bondi without a parking permit, expect to get booked.

16. With regards your initial note:

Sorry mate, I appreciate your intentions with respect to disseminating potentially valuable information to a lot of people, but it is a discussion of law (parking) enforcement policies and there is a specific forum for that.

If people who could benefit from this information don't go to any forum besides GD, then I guess it's their bad luck.

Regards,
    Butz. :beer:

17. It varies from council to council even around Sydney. I got a ticket last year in North Sydney for parking on the footpath. No way was I obstructing traffic, vehicle or pedestrian. I was parked about 50cm from the kerb and parallel to the kerb. There was about a 1.5 - 2 meter width of path remaining for pedestrians to get through. In fact I was parked in line betwen two trees planted on the path and still got the ticket. I've seen tickets on bikes since who parked a similar way.

18. North Sydney make Waverley seem relaxed...