Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[SYD] Deus.....

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by evelknievel75, Apr 15, 2009.

?
  1. marketing!

99.5%
  2. great bikes!

0.5%
  3. easy to put one together!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. what do sydney people think of deus ex machina? been in there?

i was getting my bike serviced and they came up in conversation and my rather cynical mechanic said if you are going to get a custom bike do it yourself, that it would be really easy to do ( he know's i aint too mechanically minded ), just buy all the parts off ebay japan.

he says thats were all the parts have come from, and that it's all a big marketing ploy....and would be no probs to do one yourself.....

marketing? or filling a needed niche in sydney or great bikes? :?:

2. I like the bikes they make. Been there and they have some impressive bikes on the showroom. But the prices are ridiculous. After all most of them are just old shitters with Deus painted on the tank. I think when I was there they had a POS SR400/500 and they wanted over 10k for it :LOL:

Cool bikes, but not worth the money.

3. I think they're serving a niche in the market so they will not appeal to most motorcyclists at that price.

4. In a city of 4+million people, there will always be a market for what they do; people want to be individual, ("You're all individuals." "I'm not.") and many have enough money to pay for that individuality. I attended a book launch there recently and the range of stuff they sell, aside from bikes, is staggering.

5. Having an interest in custom bikes, I've fantasised about how feasible setting up a similar custom bike shop in another city would be.

With the investment/overheads/limited appeal of the bikes they're making, the only way to go about it is to go for a very premium product.

They design good bikes for a fair price for a custom. They're running the only business model that's possible for that sort of bike. They're apparently doing very well out of it, they manage the business well with all the value adding stuff (food, merchandise etc...) that really makes a business sustainable.

Good on them. It's something differently, they took a risk in bringing a new and interesting idea to the Australian market, if it works out, great.

They're not stopping anyone from building their own (on the contrary, they're a good parts source), and I don't think it really cheapens the culture.

6. You might as well say "if you're going to eat bread make it yourself, it would be really easy" - sure, all you need is some flour, water and yeast... that, plus a lot of time and elbow grease so most of us can't be bothered. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't be eating bread though.
    I see nothing wrong with Deus providing a service for those who want to use it.

I see Deus bikes on the street occasionally and they never fail to attract some attention from passers-by. People who wouldn't look twice at your brand-spanking-new R1 will notice Deus - cross-plane crankshaft is no match for shiny metal tank. And by 'people', I mean 'chicks' :)

7. As an exceptionally personal opinion, if I wanted a custom bike, I'd shop around till I found one that was just like what I would build; I'm way past dirty fingernails and sitting on a cold concrete garege floor at 11:15pm trying to figure out why my home-made rear-sets aren't working.

So, who'd like to build me a Yamaha XS-650 special, 1979 motor, original tank, pared back to the basics, and a nice big alloy fork-brace so if I wanted to give it the berries round a corner, the back wouldn't arrive first : :LOL:

8. Are you out to impress someone else? If so, buy a Deus bike.
    If not, do it all yourself (thats my opinion anyway).

The same could be argued about Harley Davidsons. How much are you paying for the badge and supposed cred that comes with it? (my opinion also).

9. I love their bikes. Personally i'd strip and build a bike myself as a project.

Some of the asking prices for these older bikes (in poor condition) seem very high to me. $6k or so just for somewhere to start? Is this right or am i looking in the wrong places?

I would hope a bike could be bought for $1k-$2k?

10. Older bikes will sell for whatever the seller thinks the market can bear....

this bloke wants $4,000 for a Yamaha XS-650 Special with around 87,000 kms. To some it might be a bargain, but that's about what the bike cost new, in relative terms, and it's nearly 30 years old.

http://snipurl.com/fz0hc

11. For anything, their clothing is cool and their food and coffee are nice.!

The guy who owns this actually was the owner of the Mambo Clothing!

12. They're gay.

13. agrees...

14. SR500's in custom format routinely sell for around $10,000 anyway so if that is what Deus is charging then that's actually not that bad. Clean rideable SR500's go for around $5000.

Some of their other bikes are however pretty expensive for what you get.

15. I think they make some beautiful looking bikes. It's not about speed, insane handling or track duty; these bikes are about art.

I'm more likely to buy one of these than build a custom myself. I just don't have the time.

16. I don't think I'd buy one (until I'm old enough for the Ulysses club), but I like them. I think it's a great idea developing it into a brand and culture - very smart and saavy.

17. I think you might struggle with an SR400 at that point.

18. If I could justify the price, I would be buying a Dues Grievious Angel right now! It's beautiful, an art piece. But I would display it in the living room as oppose to riding it. I think just one ride and the dream will be shattered. It won't handle like it looks or it's price dictates unfortunately.