Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

swivelling bike on its stand...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by dje, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Anyone know how to do this?
    If yes, please explain...

2. carefully, pulling back on the bike as you turn it.
    p.s. doesn't do the base of your stand much good btw.

3. I can do it.

A friend of mine taught me - only recommended if you need to pivot the bike on the spot ie. you've been parked in or something.

It does involve a bit of physical strength, and I imagine with some larger bikes it will be near impossible.

Also, you ARE scraping/wearing the bottom of your stand.

Anyways;

From parked on stand position:
    - your right foot behind the stand [so it can't fold back easily].
    - standing on the left [stand side] of the bike, pull it towards you.
    - once ONE wheel comes off the ground (usually the front will come up as you stand the bike up towards vertical on the stand) while maintaining your lateral pull to keep the bike up on the stand, push down towards the front (if front wheel is up / or pull back a bit if the back wheel comes up on your bike) so that both wheels are now off the ground.
    - now carefully move your body around to pivot the bike in the direction you want it to swivel.

Notes:

- it DOES take strength. I'm going to suggest to ladies don't even bother trying this. I'm also going to suggest your VTR1000 is more likely to have you posting a "Crap, I dropped it in the driveway post" than a "Sweet, I can swivel my bike ezy d00dz!" story.

- the idea behind getting one wheel up first, is that you are using the weighted balance of the bike already to lift half of it. It's sort of like a balance point and after that you are only making a difference to HALF the bikes weight to get it to balance, instead of trying to drag the whole bike up on it's stand without it overbalancing and falling over.

- you won't be happy if you try this and stuff it. I recommend taking extra care and consideration when PARKING your bike to avoid having to try and perform a stand pivot.

- if you're going to practice, do it on a split-track driveway with grass in between or a similar surface that gives concrete for the bike and stand, but soft landing if it falls sideways.

- 2 things about mates:
    -- you either want a mate there to help if you make a mistake and the bike is at risk of falling.
    -- you don't want any witness to tease you later when you screw up and drop your bike.

Good luck.

4. I used to do it with the Z 650 and GTR on a smooth concrete floor. Then I read about people breaking their centrestands doing it and have stopped.........I am working on a steel plate with casters to put under the stand to make the bike more moveable in the shed.

Regards, Andrew.

5. I'd add that it's easiest when you're holding the right rear footpeg hanger, that seems to give the right leverage.

And yes you need to put some muscle in - not so much to lift it, but to control it as it's swivelling.

6. I just grab my VTR by the luggage rack and lift the back wheel off the ground and swivel. The bike only weighs 200kg and you aren't lifting all of that.

7. There's actually a centrestand "rollerstand" out there, look in the back of AMCN for the engineering mob in victoria that make them, cost me $212 plus postage to get one delivered to me in Sydney, absolutely fantastic purchase. It's designed for putting bikes with a centrestand in the corner of the garage, etc.. (now i just dont bother parking my car in the garage as its way too f(#*in small to go in & out daily & maintain your sanity without scraping something, and i have a carolla!!!)

nb: the stand also can be put under the rear/front tyre so that you can rotate the bike around that as an axis. I don't remember what its called, when im in the garage next i'll try and take a gander at it.

8. i do it all the time. and also just use a car jack and the side stand for all maintenance jobs. it's a piece of cake - and i'm not a big guy. you don't need both wheels off the ground if you're rotating the bike left. if the rear wheel is off, the front will happily drag around to the left. a good hand hold like loz mentions is important. just watch the hot exhaust.

9. It's certainly not a difficult thing to learn to do.
    I never did it with my 250, but with my 1000 i find it much easier to just rotate it on the sidestand than do the Austin Powers 174 point turn. Given that my bike weighs in at ~235kg wet in normal street trim, and i weigh in at ~80kg... anyone with a similar ratio should have no problems at all!

I rotated an FZR250 a few weeks back that i was working on in my garage and almost threw the thing out the garage window! I'm so used to using my body weight to get the rear wheel off the ground that i almost over compensated.

Which reminds me... i tend to drag the front wheel on the ground and lift the rear. I start off by lifting the front and then pushing towards the front of the bike and it will rock it onto the front wheel whilst rotating it.

10. Only do this when it is really really necessary like when there is no room to move the bike using its wheels.

Centre stand is not designed for swivelling.

11. centrestand works, but wasn't designed for it.

Side stand bends the stand and will eventually break it.

REV

12. #12 LPCIII, Aug 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Well dje after you practise your side stand swivell check out this video there is a new trick, to do with the side stand, for you to try. The trick is at 1:14 into the vid but it is worth the watch.

[media=youtube]8o04UcDz7rI[/media]

Enjoy

13. #13 Ktulu, Aug 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Yes! I love that bike vid!

Dude is a champion.

14.  Top
  15. Awesome vids, if only I could ever be that good. Well I better start practising

16. I don't know if this is same one, but I have one that cost me $195. I swear by the thing, it makes moving the bike a simple one hand excercise. Here is a pic of my Beemer sitting on it,

http://members.iinet.net.au/~browng/bikemover.jpg

17. thats right, 195, sorry i couldnt remember where the cost of postage stopped and the cost of the item started!
    it was about 230-250 all up delivered, it's a f*in heavy thing, but by god it does the job fantastically.

18. you'll find that the more vertical your side stand rest the easier it is. you dont need to lift the bike completely as said before you can half drag it, using the stand to help, just remember to always put rearward pressure on the bike, or it may rock off the stand.