Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Swiss Alps tour

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by tzeggy14, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Ok, we've all ridden our Great Ocean Road, Black Spur, Reefton Spur, MacQuarie Pass, Putty Road, Mt Victoria, The Gap, Mt Glorious, Mt Hotham, Mt. Beauty, etc. etc.
    (Yes, I've done all of them and a lot more .... before I'm questioned on it!!)

They are all great rides, but if you ever get the chance to go to Europe in summer you will find literally hundreds and hundreds of kilometres of even better roads than these, all within a few hundred kilometre radius.

It has to be seen and experienced to be believed!

Check this out: http://www.tz350.net/alpine.htm

2. mate - the ride out of queenstown heading towards hobart gives this road a run for it's money!!!

you can't get it out of 2nd gear for about 25 k
  3. Aaah yes, but the article isn't about that one road I have linked there in the posting!

4. I dunno, I don't get that much of a thrill out of hairpins, so that picture doesn't give me an excessive woody.

+1 votes to "go check out tassie dude!" And yeah the roads in and out of Queenstown in ANY direction are simply some of the best I've ever seen. Although I hear that the Lake Leake road on the East coast is the best road in Tassie....

That said, I will definately ride Europe one day, where there's mountains there's serious fun!
  5. Yes, Switzerland. I travelled around the country a couple of years ago in the summer season, and all I can say is... motorcycle heaven :)

6. Loz,

Yeah me neither actually.
    Switchbacks are too bloody slow!
    I just chose that shot to catch people's interest. (Mission accomplished!)

There's shitloads (like I'm talking literally thousands of kilometres) of what i believe are the best biking roads (in this quantity at least) on the planet within a small area over heaps of different countries.

7. Europe is one of the best places in the world to ride bikes.
    If the weather was not so bloody awful in the UK I would be living and working over there in a second, just so that I could take the ferry or train across to France and all the other great riding destinations.

I was amazed when I was back there in 94 that so few Brit riders every venture onto the Continent.
  8. Ohhhh Yeah, baby! :LOL:
    Don't worry, I'm sure Le Frog was worth you missing out on Lake Leake Rd ... not :p
  9. Weeeellllll the road's gonna be there next time I go, you never know whether the bloke will be, I'm a sucker for a good natter...

what a character though!
  10. So does that surpass the Elephant Pass/St Marys Pass loop... ?
    (Still think Gillies Highway in FNQ is tops :wink: )
  11. Yeah we did that loop too Wayne.

Lake leake, from what I've heard, is a lot wider, much faster and absolutely no traffic. You can see through the corners enough to get some serious (SERIOUS) speed happening, where the Elephant pass is more tight and twisty.

As Le Frog told me, it's a road "where any bike, and any rider, can be pushed to their absolute limit. The limit of acceleration, the limit of braking, the limit of cornering, and the limit of top speed on a 3.2km straight."