Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by biker one, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Hello Everyone,
    I have been around this site for awhile, reading and learning lots.
    I'm very close now to buying a bike to do a bit of touring.

I'm also in the market for a swag.
    Can anyone suggest which swag is suitable for use
    with a motorcycle?
    I plan to buy a mid size cruiser and want to set it up for doing a bit of touring.

Thanks heaps...

2. This might be a bit late to be of any help but I saw a swag made by Burke and Wills at my local camping store. With a name like that it should be aussie made but does pay to check. It caught my eye because its called a Biker Swag. As such it looked a bit smaller when rolled up and wasn`t quite as wide as the average swag. If your not over large, not that there`s anything wrong with that, they may be worth a look. Approx $180.
  3. Thanks for the reply, that gives me something to go on.

biker one
  4. I traveled around Australia a few years back and slept on the ground in a sway the whole time. I cant imagine any sways being suitable for biking, mainly because they are so big and bulky.

For biking i would use a good sleeping bag inside a bivvy bag.

5. Trying to work out the best way to go here.
    Maybe you are right a swag would be to large to
    be easy to use.
    Have had a look at the Bivvy Bags...could be ok, have to have a closer look.
    What have others used for long trips ??

biker one.
  6. I haven't had a long bike trip but done a few hiking trips and I don't see why a hiking tent wouldn't work for a bike trip. very light and easy to set up. Just getting my gear organised now the weather is starting to come good.
  7. I like the look of the Oztrail Biker. Looks like it would be good.
    Looking forward to seeing the packed up size.

biker one
  8. -5 sleeping bag, self inflating mat and small dome tent. It all packs in a waterproof bag and sits across the back seat (plus I have a full size foldup allowy chair strapped on as well).

Swags are fine if you have a car, but imagine soaking wet canvas and how much it would weigh? Plus they are very bulky and you don't get much room like in a tent to read or store your gear in.
  9. OT..

Alright, fess up, Alex, where was that wonderful photo taken???
  10. +1.

This is what I used for my 2wk trip to Brissy and back.

I got it from Rays Outdoors for $49 (was on special). I got a self inflating air mattress and a -3 sleeping bag and Bob was my uncle. :cool: All three (bag/tent/mattress) fitted inside a waterproof bag which was ocky strapped to the back of my then virago 250.

Blue waterproof bag with tent etc inside:
  11. Don't Driazabone (spelling) make waterproof swags???
  12. Somewhere along Waterfall Way :cool:
  13. Thanks for the photo, the size looks great for what I want.

Thanks heaps.

biker one
  14. I should have also asked are you happy with the product?
    Do you think it will do all that you require?

biker one
  15. Yep, just add a sleeping bag and maybe a pillow.