Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SV650 v ER6

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by paddo_hornet, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Hey all,
    I am upgrading to a mid-size bike and have my eyes on the Suzuki SV650 and the new Kawasaki ER6. Any one have any opinions on these two models?

2. Also, what are your thoughts on a new release bike such as the ER6. Is it better to go for a bike that has been around a bit longer and the bugs have been fixed over time?
  3. if you haven't already have a good search mate there will be tonnes of info.

the ER6 is an inline four isn't it? i'd test ride both and decide whether i liked twins or fours and go from there, good luck.
  4. Paralell twin I think it is?
  5. Yep the ER-6 is a parellel twin. There was a review in MCN between the ER6 and the other naked middleweights (in Europe). Basic verdict was that both the SV650 and ER6 were a good choice. The Suzuki had slightly better handling, especially at high speeds - but the Kwaka had an advantage in braking and straight-line performance. Really though the differences weren't that great so go with whichever one you like best.
  6. Glitch loved the ER-6. Raved about it.

But then.... He rides a Strom.... ;)
  7. Kawasaki verses Suzuki :shock: No contest in the long run Kwaka will win every time :grin: :grin:
  8. go a little bigger and get the z750 :wink: more power and u much nicer designed bike i think :grin:
  9. Took the er6 out for a ride on Saturday and it was a real nice ride. Then the shop suggested I take out the Z750. Wow....I fell in love with the 750 straight away it is head and shoulders above the er6 in every way and only about $1000 more expensive.
  10. Those looking at this segment of the market might be interested in the comparison between Er6f and SV650 just released at http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/ Their conclusion seems to be that Kawasaki is better in normal use, while Suzuki has more to offer at the upper limit of its (and the rider's) capabilities. They compare faired Kawasaki to naked Suzuki, probably because USA has not received ER6n so far, they only get the f version. But I think they should've used SV650S ... it has has lower handlebars and more crouched riding position than the naked version, but that would not change the conclusions of their test, I think it would just make the difference more pronounced.

Personally I'm more interested in every-day-riding than track days, so it confirmed my interest in ER6... But I am also thinking about Suzuki's 650, but in the form of VStrom rather than SV... oh well. Can't afford either at the moment.