Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

sv650 lower forks lacquer

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by kyan, Sep 19, 2008.

1. the lacquer on the forks on my '02 sv650 is a bit pitted and looking crapper. i came across this site detailing how to strip the lacquer off with paint stripper and then polishing the metal to a shine with a polishing kit.

has anyone on here done this? i just want your feedback. i would hate to make it look worse than it currently it.

here is a link to the site and a couple of pic examples from the link showing before and after.

2. It can definately been done. I've been thinking about doing mine for a while, and they're not pitted much at all.
  3. Results can look great, requires a lot of work and especially if you live near the coast will require regular maintenance to keep it looking good. You could also clean them up after stripping the lacquer, then give them a good paint job which would last longer and be easier to touch up. Best look is polished though.
  4. I found I got the best results when I filed down any serious marks/scratches, then used sandpaper along the grain of the brushed look. I think 320 or 400 was the finest (I'd just use a grade that matches your original forks). Over that just clear coat and it looked like stock again.