Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki's GSX750F - Thoughts on this, anyone?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by mjt57, Jun 28, 2006.

1. A mate's off his restriction period. He wants to upgrade to something a tad bigger than his 250. He's been looking at the following:

* Honda VTR1000F
    * Honda VFR800
    * Suzuki GSX750F

However, he's leaning towards the Suzuki. It's a cheaper bike than the others and may be more suited to him as a newish rider. The VFR's nice, but it's an expensive bike, comparitively speaking, while the VTR is so-so.

Any of you guys owned or ridden the Suzuki? If so, I'd like to hear your views on it, particularly more current models as that is what he's looking at - either something new or perhaps up to 2 years old.

Eventually, he'll get off his butt and start visiting dealers, and to take a few for test rides. That'll probably be what helps him decide. But in the meantime, it'll be handy to hear of the experiences of other riders.

Thanks

2. Three completely different types of bikes listed. By the sounds of it he doesn't really know what he wants or doesn't know the bikes well.
    Three different engine configurations and two different styles of bike.
    GSXF/VFR are very similar, heavy tourer types with overly soft suspensions and not much get up and go. One is an inline 4 the other a V-Four
    VTR is a loud, sports first and tourer second styled bike. While it's suspension isn't a whole lot better in standard trim than the others, the package feels much more nimble as a whole.
    It's definitely the more racy of the three.

All depends what he wants. If he wants a fun, sporty bike with a great sound that can also tour reasonably well, get the VTR.
    If he wants a comfy, long distance tourer that is good on fuel not overly sporty, get the GSXF.
    The VFR is overpriced, underpowered, overweight and has a lot of flaws like the linked brakes.

3. The suzuki is the more mundane of all the bikes mentioned. Looks like a boring bike to me, but I've never ridden one. I don't think the model has changed much during it's entire run.

What sort of riding does he do?

vfr's are a good all rounder.

The vtr is a more agile/sports oriented bike than either of above (also a good all rounder), but suffers from poor tank range.

Perhaps your mate shouldn't be so quick to narrow down his choices, there are heaps more bikes that would be suitable for all purpose/sports/touring riding.

SV650 springs to mind, and are a good price 2nd hand.

4. Thanks for the replies, folks. But I'm after info on the Suzuki. I've ridden the other bikes mentioned, so he has an idea of what they're like. None of us have ridden the Suzy, hence the query here.

And as I've said, he's still riding his first bike, a Honda CBR250R (one of those grey imports). He looked at a CBR600 but I said that it's a bike that's not too dissimilar to his current bike - one that needs a lot of revs and a fair bit of input to get up and going, and to keep going.

5. He's looked at a whole range of bikes. The short list is what I've shown above. First criteria, 750cc or above. 2nd, reasonably easy to ride. 3rd, cost.

We work together. On our crew there are a number of guys who all ride, who own bikes from Blackbirds to GSX-R1000s, to Harleys, to an aging Bol D'or, VFR800, VTR1000F and a Honda 250 Rebel (don't ask).

So, he's had a lot of advice, opinions, etc. But none of us has ridden or seen this particular Suzuki, hence my query about the bike.

Me, personally, I've tried to steer him towards the VTR. Local Honda dealer has a new one. Honda dealers are also offering brand new models for $13k ride away. He looked at one on Ebay. It was an 03-04 model that sold for $8.4k. He nearly bid, but wasn't quite prepared to commit, just yet. But a new GSX750F can be had for under $10k.

6. if your only after the info on the gsxf....google it then.....

its just a American Katana :LOL: :LOL:

(sit back and wait).......... :popcorn:

7. I've owned one for a couple of months, Jafu owns one - I'm not sure if there are any other Netriders with GSX750Fs?

Summary - it's a budget priced, bulletproof sports-tourer.

If your mate wants a bike that's good at a whole lot of things (commuting, touring, even a bit of scratching if he's not too silly) it's a good option. It's not as sporty as a VFR, or as quick. On the other hand, it's a helluva lot cheaper. And it's definitely more comfortable, which is important after a few hundred k's.

As far as performance is concerned, if your mate's coming from a 250 (as I was) it'll have enough to keep him interested for a good while. Particularly when you get it over 7000rpm. It makes nice snarly noises and blurs the scenery rather well.

I'm very happy with mine, and I know Jafu is with his.

I wouldn't buy a new one, though. Look around for a clean, low-mileage example and let someone else pick up the depreciation.

The GSXF has been sold in the US as a Katana for quite a while (heresy, they're not anything like a Katana!). Your mate can find out pretty much anything he wants to know here. Or give me a PM if you've any specific questions.

8. Ok then, GSX750F 2005, from the riders seat.

It is a Sports/tourer and a damn comfortable one at that. Low seat height 790mm. I have done 500k only stopping to refuel with ease. Has a dry weight of 211kgs so road weight is about 230kg. but a low centre of gravity.
    20lt fuel tank,of which 5lt is reserve, I get about 300km to the tank at touring speeds (100-120), without the reserve. A bit less if you fang it around (guilty :shock: ).
    The riding position is comfortable for me @ 5'9". and nearly 50.Not over the tank and not bolt upright.
    Low maintenance, 24K major service only cost me $400.

IMHO cheap to buy 10K,reliable and a lot of fun. :) (I love my bike)

9. You are the first person I've known to voice that opinion about VFR800's
    (not a criticism, just an obvservation :) )
    Certainly not a racers bike, probably not a sports bike, but rightly or wrongly they are the acknowledged benchmark for all "sports cruisers". They are a brilliant design for their intended purpose
    In every day riding, have heaps of go (FFS how fast do you want to go?) bloody comfortable, good torque curve, great fuel economy. Hence the high resell value. The gear driven cams are a blessing, no typical Jap bike timing chain rattles/stretches etc. and the engine will last forever.

VTR is based on an racing beast, is quick, fast, nimble but can't be described as even a sports tourer, it's range is down around 180-200 ks at best (so Twingirl tells me) the riding position is more race than cruise.
    out of the three, the least potential engine lifespan.

GSXF is similar to the VFR in it's designed role, and on a value for dollar basis, arguably far better value.

In those three choices, & seeing it's a step up from a 250, I humbly suggest the suzi teapot (gsxf).

Can I also suggest a look at the Yammie Thundercat (YZF00R, precursor to the R6) an excellent bike as a step up from a 250, nimble and quick enough to really hone your skills, like riding a fast armchair on tours, reasonably good economy. Once you get confident, it's more than capable of embarrasing bigger bikes.

Wotever they gets I bet they enjoy it :grin:

JJ

10. Thanks Jafu, Iffracem, Gromit and others for your views. I'll pass this thread's link onto him for consideration.

11. ???

I couldn't disagree more !!!

"a lot" of flaws ?

<shakes head and wanders off>

12. Well the Viffer's seat is a tad firm for a sports-tourer, and its shape means one's nads sit a bit too snugly against the tank for my liking.

Yep, those are serious flaws all right... :wink:

13. The VFR has "a lot of flaws" my arse. I rode a VTR1000 at Philip Island on a Honda ride day. It had some good points - but- the brakes are mushy shit standard, the torque was underwhelming after the rave reviews I heard and doesn't go any harder than my VFR. The VFR goes further on a tank, has about the same HP (mine has 102 which is better than some VTRs), 100% better pillion ergos, sounds better, is faster....but it is a Honda so it's not all bad.. :p. If we were talking SP2, which I also rode then I'd agree the VFR is heavy and a flawed track bike, but compare to the cooking version VTR? Make mine a VFR! :grin:

14. yep, if you are looking at that style of bike, i would also throw the thundercat in, as i believe that also fits the bill. :wink:

15. I think these bikes ARE similar, despite the different engine configs. All faired sports tourers.

I've ridden the gsx.

A good all round bike.

A little bland.

I found the handle bars too remote.

The power is not threatening, but usable, which is a good thing for an all round bike.

Initial devaluation is fairly high, but not bad after that, so I second the thought of buying slightly second hand.

I also second the thought of the VFR800 being overpriced. Nice bike, but too dear and in my mind too many gadgets.

The newer VTRs have a better tank size then the early ones. They are always on sale around the $15k mark, so are not a bad all round bike for that. If you haven't got that sort of money then the gsx is hard too pass up.

Keep in mind they have been around for a while and share many many parts with other Suzuki models. So parts are always available. This is one of th ebenefits of owning a Suzuki, as opposed to a Honda.

16. Stock pads would've been the culprit. Honda use very ordinary stock pads across the line, the RRs being the exception. This would be hidden somewhat on the VFR by the black box doing all the work for you.
    Torque underwhelming? It has 30% more torque than a VFR right through the range. Only fools fall for the peak power argument. You can't compare the horsepower output of two completely different engines with two very different redlines. Analysis of the Torque curve is of much more value.
    http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mchonda/98vfr/dyno.html

And as we can see here, the VTR monsters the two VFRs. Which is to be expected given the engine capacity. The VTR weighs 10% less as well.
    To say the VFR is faster is well, ludicrous.
    Add the fact that second hand there's about 3 to 4 grand difference in price for the same age machine.
    I definitely considered a pre-vtec VFR800 when I purchased the VTR but the extra money for nothing lead me back to the twin.

17. All that aside. The VTR absolutely sucks for two up touring.

18. As a former VTR1000F owner, I reckon they are a tops bike. You can get them REAL cheap second hand with some nice extras added on by a thoughtful owner such as cans, braided lines and a suspension tweaks. Plus they are getting a bit of a cult following. The sound sweet and will fire out of a corner fantastic when geared down slightly. Bit wheezy up the top of the rev range though.

A few things to look for if he was to buy second hand:

Cam chain tensioners are okay (Distinct ticking sound at idle if they are on the way out but an easy fix).
    Steering head bearings.
    Rear brake discs.
    Fork seals.

All of the bike listed are great at what they were designed to do. All have there flaws and all have there advantages.

If I were doing lots and lots of touring miles and day trips, I would pick the VFR (Slightly morre exciting than the otherwise excellent GSX). If I liked to punt around the race-track occasionally, but still want to ride all day, I would pick the VTR.

19. The GSXF comes with a free GPS at the mo :grin: and it's the cheapest. Insurance is also reasonable.

Although I wouldn't buy a bike just for the free GPS but if your going to anyway...

20. Agreed. It's hideous with a pillion!!