Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki TU250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by yob_job, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Hey Everyone,

I have had a look around the site and i feel this is the best place to post this topic.

I am new to buying a bike, an di have found a bike that i like.
    It is the Suzuki TU250

I am wondering if anyone has ever had one of these bikes before??
    i asked my mates they had not heard of it.

I know nothing about this bike, if they are a good bike, if they are easy to maintain, if they well are a good bike.

Any responseses would be much appricated.
  2. Single cylinder 250.

Probably easy to service and maintain.

Good luck overtaking... anything ;)

I've heard nothing about their reliability or if there's any issues with parts, but single cyl 4-strokes are usually pretty solid.
    Probably a fine little bike to learn on.
  3. I had a tu250x and I am sure this is what you are researching.

basically they are the same bike as a gn250 which where very popular 250 bikes with nothing really wrong with them.

The TU250x is a "classic" version on the gn250 and is modelled on a Norton commando syle of an appearance.

They chug along well, but don't expect warp speeds................basic, honest bike!
  4. Weird. I replied to this, in fact it was the first reply, and yet now it seems to have disappeared :? . Anyway seems most of what I mentioned has been duplicated anyway. If you're having trouble finding info try searching under it's Japanese name - the Suzuki Volty. Think they were prone to high wear on some engine parts (bearings for example) although if you're doing the work yourself it's not a major issue or cost and if looked after they're definitely capable of running up some seriously high kms (provided you can put up with a top speed that's realistically no better than 80kph). Also don't expect it to be all that exciting to ride on a twisty road. As a cheap urban commuter though it's ideal.
  5. I saw a pair of these things for sale a few months ago now. I thought they looked cool like a Yamaha SRV250? in a retro kind of way. Single cylinder 4 stroke is a good bike for a learner that wants to get involved with maintenance. From memory the pair I saw were $5000 and looked like new.
  6. yeah this tread deleted i was trying to find it for ages then i had to re make it :p

to be honest i am not looking for something with serious speed, i think if i get something powerful like a sports bike i will simply end up 6 foot under.

Thats why with my bike i want a cruiser or something slow, as i relise on a motorbike i dont have protection like i do in a car.

but i read there top speed is 120 kms

would it be bad if i had my full licence on a highway going 110 km like would it hurt the engine?
  7. Absolute maximum speed and realistic top speed are two very different things ;). Also keep in mind that with age bikes also lose horsepower which directly affects maximum speed (as does the size of the rider, many maximum speeds are probably set with jockey-sized riders). Trying to ride it continuously at 110kph would not be good for it, if that's what you need then you're better off looking at something else. A good two-cylinder bike like a 2nd hand Honda CB250 or Suzuki GS/GSXX250 would offer enough performance for the highway without being that much faster or more expensive to run than a TU. In fact they may prove cheaper to run in the long run than a TU with an engine that's being constantly pushed to the limits.
    Edit: Oh and although going fast is dangerous so too is not having enough power in reserve on the highway - especially when a car/truck/van decides it wants your lane.
  8. true.

i dunno i am finding it hard to find a bike, i really liek the look of cruisers.
    my problem is i know nothing about bike engines, and i only got Max $4000 to spend on a bike, and i dont want something to old or with high kms.

and i found the tu250x for sale for $4000 low kms good paint, a dealer was selling, so they would be more reliable then a private sale.
    i have been told to get a 4 stoke as the engines last, whereas a 2 stroke the engines do not last.

its not that i want to go up and down highways, but incase i decided to once and a while.
    not really a worry atm as im on my L's but later it will affect me.
  9. 4 grand is pretty steep for a TU, for that price you could easily find something a lot better. You shouldn't be too scared off by the performance of any (4-stroke) 250 - really you'll probably be amazed at just how quickly even they'll seem slow once you get used to riding. 2-strokes are best avoided though, if only for the fact that the gradual introduction of LAMS across the country means they'll soon become almost worthless (very few unrestricted riders would be interested in a 2-stroke 250). If you like the look of cruisers then something like a Virago should be within your budget and would make a good choice. Also be sure to check out some of the nakeds like the Suzuki Bandit 250 (not too hard to find one in good condition for under 4k).
  10. I just wanted to thank everyone for your feedback in regards to this bike.

i have decided to keep looking for bikes, but hopefully i will find something soon :)
  11. +1

I've got a theory on this. The TU on paper has slightly more power and less weight than the CB250. The CB250 can easily cope at 110 all day, onto a top speed of 140 on a good day. The TU as you say, is 80ish cruising, 120 tops.

Others would attribute this to the difference between a single and twin, but I'm of the opinion that power is power, and with a simple sprocket swap to change up the gearing, you could easily acheive a higher cruising speed.

Most 250's are geared excessively low in first. My massively overweight and gutless 1980 CB250t would take off easily in second on an incline, so there's no harm in losing a little off the bottom on a bike like this.

Will try this if I end up with a TU250x as next bike. I like them because they're cheap as, better looking than most and felt light and flickable when I was in the saddle briefly.