Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki SV1000 You Spell it FAARRRRKKK

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by FALCON-LORD, Sep 29, 2008.

1. The story goes a little something like this…
    On Saturday evening I had a little bash at my place, in celebration of an other year survived on this earth
    I good friend rocked on over on his SV Thou and partook of my hospitality and some brews. An other friend gave him a lift home, and so it was my duty to return his motorcycle to his place of residence…
    Soo… I slapped the ignition switch, geared up and swung a leg over. I was really gentle on the clutch as I rolled it out and got moving,
    The first thing I noticed is you really have to wrestle the SV into corners more than anything I have ridden. It definitely needs positive steering inputs. The next thing I noticed is that it pulls pretty solidly, or at least pretty solidly was my impression at this point in the ride. I then ended up at a set of lights, and had my first understanding of what Litre Twin really means. Now to make this perfectly clear… the Way to spell SV One thousand more efficiently if FAAARRRRKKK
    I let the clutch out just a tad quickly, and blipped the throttle a tad more than I expected, and this bike didn’t take off, it didn’t roll on, It positively Leapt off the line. The front came up as it launched away, Like a Thoroughbred you have just stuck a pair of spurs into the flanks of. Seriously this Ba$tard Bites. So after dumping the revs and bringing it back on in a more civilised manner I got to roll on the power with a standard gear down wind on, and the world just went into fast forward. The bike just pulled and pulled and FAAARRRRKKK (there is that word again). Now I am not saying the power was uncontrollable. Unlike the 600RR it doesn’t just leap out of no where to try to bite you. I mean you know where the power is… It starts at puttering and keeps on going till red line (Well, I’ll be honest I am guessing at the red line bit because I was not going there)
    Basically once you got used to feathering your clutch off the line this bike was rough and brutal, but not scary to ride
    Now to the ergos… I have 6 oft from head to toe, and weigh in at 75, This bike was a comfortable fit, when I put the power down I sat into the rear of the seat comfortably. Now that being said I didn’t put it through any twisties where I may want to get a little lower so the saddle to bars may be a little short once put to the task. The vibe from the bike I think could get pretty old pretty quick. You can feel the whole bike rumble at any revs any speed, it just changes from a burble and burp under 25kph to a rumble above.
    I didn’t get hard on the breaks, so can’t comment on how they behave, and just didn’t feel the will to attempt clutchless shifts on this, though the gearbox was very positive for normal shifting though the clutch was stupidly heavy.
    So… In short, this bike is a very inspiring Hoon machine, it is controllable, but really needs some respect when it comes to throttle control, It is a bit heavy for tipping in, and has to be ridden hard to get it to perform. It is not the sort of bike I’d want to own, but for what it is, it is a Brutal Barrel of Laughs. Get out on one and have a play, even if it is just for the whopping big smile it will put on your face before you hand it back and say no thanks. Because to not smile on this bike you’d have to be dead.

My Previous Test rides below
    Dougles 07 CBR600RR
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54819
    Night on the town on a 99 CBR F4
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40228
    Went for a play on an R6
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39861

2. Did you happen to get a dictionary for your birthday FL?

:p

3. He always gets it wrong :mad: It's cringe-worthy ;)

4. well I <3 the SV1000, but I *may* be biased heheh

5. Tara, I haven't ridden one, swapsies sometime? :twisted:

6. I watched one dissapear over the horizon on several occasions this last weekend :) I loved the note too whenever I got close enough :cool:

7. Named rider only insurance atm phiz... but if im less povo next year when I insure it in April then maybe ;)

I have a *thing* about sharing my bike... my bike is like underwear or a toothbrush... if I wouldn't let someone use my toothbrush I wouldn't let them ride the bike heheh

8. I've ridden Chef's SV1000S a couple of times now. Overall it falls into the sprint-touring category (ie. a sports-tourer, that's more sports than tourer). First time I rode it, the front preload was too soft, and the rear was woefully under-damped. Scary. Chef brought it around and we fixed it. After that Chef really started to pick up the pace in his riding.

Second time I rode it, after we had dialled in the suspension better, I wouldn't say that the power something to be especially careful of. It's got quite a soft and smooth delivery. Reminded me a lot of my old VTR1000F, only a bit heavier. Actually it has less top-end power than a 600cc sports-bike, but it does have a flatter torque curve (ie. more linear power delivery and more power in the mid-range) which makes it very easy to ride anywhere in the rev range. To be honest, if it weren't for the difference in the engine note, mid-range pick-up and acceleration wise from low-down in the rev-range it would be hard to pick it from the Daytona 675, but with the 675 offering significantly more poke in the top 25% of the rev range.

Its power delivery is classical V-twin lazy, in that you open the throttle wide, and it still doesn't feel like it's really pushing that hard, until you look at the speedo and realise that you're going about 50% faster than you thought you were and scratch your head wondering how it got you there so quickly while feeling so lazy in doing so. Still, it doesn't have rear wheel unhooking power unless you've fit some firm touring tyres on the back.

Overall I liked it okay. Suspension was too soft and if I owned one I'd have to respring/revalve the front end, and replace the rear shock, or else I'd likely find myself sliding off the outside of some bumpy corner that had overwhelmed the suspension into an unrecoverable wallow.

Basically an enjoyable lazy V-twin sporty tourer, just like the VTR1000F was.

You want true FAAAARRKK power, go jump on a late model I4 litre bike and twist the throttle hard in the top 1/3 of the rev range. If you've never done that before in your life be prepared for the adrenaline surge that won't go away until the following week. You'll get off the bike gibbering and weak at the knees. Sadly we become accustomed to it all too quickly, but your very first hit of litre bike top-end power is something you'll remember forever.

9. +1, I was at around 90% of my maximum heartrate after getting off Jake's 954 (first thou cc that I opened up a bit). Giggling like a schoolgirl.

10. Oh no argument there FLUX, as I said, once the clutch is out I found it very controllable, and yeah I still have I4 Power to experience…
    I am not surprised that a I4 600 puts out more top end, I was just gob smacked at having power on call everywhere like this…

11. Dunno if my I3 125hp Tiger counts against a 150+hp I4 RR bike, but mine was something like... cruising at 40kph, roll the throttle all the way around; gravity snaps backward 90 degrees, leaving you hanging precariously from the footpegs and handlebars - reflexively you grip the bike harder with your legs and try to wrap your armpits around the tank; 90 (click) 130 (click) 170 (click) - Can barely kick the gear lever fast enough to keep the engine away from the redline..!

And then you realise that instead of being at 110kph like on the VTR250 you came from, you're now going, well... just a whisker faster.

Edit: I'll have to ask a Perth friend what he thought of his SV1000 ultimately; he had an SV for a few years, just replaced it with a Sprint ST 1050.

12. Yeah, big V-twin sportsbikes are pretty okay :cool:

Lovely!

13. Yeah, it's still not quite the same. My I3 675 has probably >130hp (at the crank) with the exhaust/map, and weighs less than a Tiger, and when accelerating hard it'll keep a litre bike very honest, to a point, as it can loft the front wheel under power in 1st and 2nd to 160kph. It still doesn't have that insane top-end snap like a big ram-air litre-bike has though. Where the 675 and the Tiger start to run out of puff, the litre bikes are just starting to get into their stride.

Can't really see it looking at dyno graphs, but the I3's build power smoothly and linearly, and have a relentless controlled surge to their top-end that makes them very rideable even while going fast. The ram-air I4's have slightly less mid-range but towards the top-end have a massive surge that in relation to your example feels like just when you thought you've got it under control and can barely believe the insane mid-range acceleration, it then surges even stronger and completely rewires your brain.

I think a lot of it comes down to body positioning. I rode a Kwaka ZR-7 the other day. 70hp air-cooled ~700cc I4, but with an upright seating position. 'cos you're sitting so upright when you accelerate it really feels like you're accelerating hard.

First time you get on a litre-bike and snap the throttle, you're not prepared for the acceleration, and so you don't brace yourself and lean into it properly, and then find yourself struggling to hang on. Quickly enough you do learn to anticipate and prepare for it, and then the feeling isn't quite the same as your first time.

If you ever do find yourself on a quiet road with the keys to a >180hp superbike, do give it a try, even if it's just once in your life.

Just my 2c.