Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki RG500 Gamma

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by LineNoise, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Any owners past or present?

Curious just how much of a monumental money pit would one of these be as a mate of my uncle is looking at getting rid of his one that's been sitting in a shed out towards Longreach for the best part of a decade and I'm half inclined to grab it as a project.

Looks all rust free and whatever but I think it would need basically complete disassembly and reassembly to get it back on the road again.

I've plenty of time to fiddle with it though, only got me full license a month or so back.
  2. I would give it a go, these are very sought after bikes and are going to be even more so. Good ones seem to be going for $15k already.

So jealous.
  3. If you are confident and rebuilding a two-stroke motor yourself then grab it.
  4. grab it, if only to stop it being broken up so someone can use the engine in a speedway car
  5. I've rebuilt a 2 stroke once before ibast, but it was a Victa :p
  6. Get it!

Such a cool bike!
  7. Grab it. NOW!
  8. Alright, looks like I'm going to have to try and wrangle this somehow. God help me, this will be bike #4. Gonna need a bigger garage.

Sounds like even if I throw my hands in the air and say bugger it I'll be able to offload it for pretty much what it will cost me to grab it.
  9. Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling :D.

Seriously, though, the RG500, by its very nature was a bike destined, in most cases, to be thrashed, dropped, raced and, ultimately, wrapped into a little ball of twisted alloy and smashed plastic. There just ain't that many left. Add to that the fact that noone is ever going to make big, fast, roadgoing strokers ever again, any example is worth hanging on to. A decent one would be loadsafun at a trackday.
  10. Yeah, they were something built to be ridden pretty damned hard.

I know for a fact this one was dropped at Lakeside and then meticulously repaired at mildly enormous expense at some point during the early 90s. Part of the reason it's sat for so long is the repair job on the bike went better than the repair job on the rider and he's moved onto plusher machines.