Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki Katana 250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Drew, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Just out of interest..anyone have one, ride one (or used to)

just looking at older 350's as I sure as hell aren't going to be able to afford a new one.

have seen a few around for sale and was wondering are they ok, any common issues they had, spares easily available etc??

2. I'm currently riding a 250 Katana which I bought as a first bike and haven't had any major problems in the 5000 or so k's I've covered so far. The only minor issues have been a few poor electrical connections which were easily fixed and probably to be expected given that these bikes are 14-15 years old. Mechanically these bikes are virtually identical to the 250 Bandit so sourcing up most common parts shouldn't be a problem. The only real difference between the bandit and the katana is in the styling, the front suspension geometry and the riding position.

Personally I've found the bike to be quite good in traffic with a smooth power delivery right across the rev range (redline is around the 15,500 mark and they are fitted with a tacho) which means you can often get away with not dropping down a gear. Highway performance is also quite good (for a 250)- the bike will easily cruise at 100-110 until you lose the feeling in your legs and arms and is quite capable of winding up to the 160-170 mark. Even with my heavy use of the throttle fuel economy has been around the 4-5 litres per 100km mark which, with a 17l tank, means range is extremely good. There's a review and other info on the 250 Katana at the following link: