Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki Intruder 250: Cold weather problem

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by bangalla, Jun 12, 2007.

1. The Suzuki Intruder that I've borrowed while I'm on my Ls has a nasty little secret that the dealer never mentioned. In cold weather the engine has a tendency to stop running at low revs, not just when you first start it but even after you've been riding for a while.

The bike's owner went into the dealership where he bought the bike because this engine cut out was concerning him. The dealer said it's a common problem with the Intruder because Suzuki in Japan decided that Australia wasn't a cold climate so there was no need to install a carburettor heater. Funnily enough, the dealer didn't feel the need to mention this common problem at sale time.

The dealer is now going to fit a carby heater as a warranty job so the problem should go away, but I'm at a loss to explain why on earth the dealer wouldn't have done this before he delivered the bike. Hopefully this will mean no more unexplained cut outs at intersections and when parking the bike.

If you're considering this little cruiser as a bike to learn on and you live anywhere that it gets cold in the morning I'd recommend you discuss this problem with the dealer before you roll it out of the dealership.
  2. Doesn't help that NSW is making ethanol mandatory in fuel. This will make the problem worse!
    [Ethanol has a higher vaporisation rate and reduces surface temp. more quickly].
  3. Unfortunately I can relate so well to this .My first bike was a Suzuki GZ 250 ( Maurader) and when the temp was below about 8 I had a similar problem.
    It would start perfectly but then after about 10 mins riding it would just cut out and die and only in the mornings never in the light of day.It always happened at the same traffic lights and I was so confused and cheesed off as to why.The mechanic said it was almost like the carby was freezing over to which I said "we not in the bloody UK now".
    The way I stopped it was running with the choke 1/4 to 1/2 on so that the revs where up a little but not enough to damage the engine.

It worked reasonably well.
  4. Doesn't need to be too cold for carb icing.........

Regards, Andrew.