Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki GSXR 250, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Bossi, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,

anyone owning/having owned a Suzuki GSXR 250? How do you like it, what's the handling like, good for learners? Just looking for thoughts and opinions on this model. It's a 1988 version.

2. Performance/specs wise, they should be the same as the pre-94 CBR250's.

However, afaik they were only made from 1987-90. And I suspect, not in any great number. So I imagine the bikes will be rare, and the parts even rarer (although some may be interchangeable with the across).
  3. Thanks megaphat~ I heard they go up to 180+km/h, whatever.
    It does seem to be a fairly rare model.

Are import bikes often sitting a lot before they are imported? I had a look at one which has no more than 20k km down but has been imported something like 2 years ago and is 21 years old. 20k is not much for 21 years, now is it.

Seems like parts are rather expensive here in AUS in general, what models are good/best in terms of getting replacement parts and maintaining?

4. Id say 150kmh is a more achievable speed, based upon the performance of an across. Not to mention the engine losing power over the years.
  5. 180, 150, whatever, I'm more after a solid bike which lasts for a while and is relatively economical to maintain ^^

Btw. what does the term 'across' refer to?
  6. Across is the suzuki GSX250F, from what I can see it seems to share the same engine as that GSXR 250.
  7. Basically you can alter the 250's maximum speed quite a lot simply by skipping a meal and then taking a dump, sure to get an extra 20km/h :rofl:
    My user manual says top speed is 160, its geared to hit 188, and everyone I asked told me I'd be lucky to hit 135....
    So far 151 *indicated* is the record, though I had free access to a race track through tafe, I'd never *cough* suggest to try it on the street *wheeze*

Now for my opinion, I do a lot of highway travel and 4cyl 250's are just not suited to the highway. They can handle it no worries, but it means revving its tits off non stop for several hours.. not everyone wants to do that to their bike
    I'm sure some people do though and reckon theres nothing wrong with that

Apart from that, they do rev lots higher than a twin or single, and have more power.. more suited for commuting around town, or a race track. Less torque than singles and twins too, which in simple terms means its smoother to ride, and has nothing at low rpm

Also both mine and my dad's bike are from 1984. Got mine at 22,009kms, his was 19kkms
    If it has been sitting a while just give it fresh fluids all round and a general clean out before everyday use.

8. I hear they spend a lot of time in open air yards in Japan. People claim that when they arrive in australia, they may have had instruments (odometer) swapped between sellable and unsellable bike. Furthermore, non-digital odometers can be disassembled and wound back, although this is probably less common than it is claimed.

If you are referring to 4 cylinder 250's, without a doubt the one with the highest parts availability would be the Honda CBR250RR simply because it was officially sold here by Honda MPE (in addition to the grey imports), and even has an english service manual. The Kawasaki ZXR250 was also available in some quantity.

Most (all?) Japanese import bikes will be limited to 180 (if they have a hope of reaching it). The 4 cylinder 250's might get close to 200km/h in unrestricted form, if they are well tuned/balanced and have a suitable runup (read: very long).
    I personally had a jap-spec CBR250RR which I thought was an excellent bike, cheap to maintain and very economical. But you'll find that's probably the general trend with all 250's (assuming you can get parts).

I'm one of 'some people'. My bike would sit on 10,000rpm (120km/h) for hours and was very happy like that. I thought it would drink oil and fuel, but it only needed a change every 6,000km (no top-ups) and was quite efficient(avg 4.3L/100km).

Common misconception. [Peak] torque depends on capacity (and compression ratio etc), not number of cylinders. They'll all have roughly the same peak torque, just on some bikes it'll arrive later in the rev range (and thus produce more power).
  9. You may want to consider another bike, then. Personally, I'd be looking at something a bit mroe recent and a bit more popular (read: 'common'). This way you'll have less problems if something goes wrong and you need to find spares etc.

With LAMS in effect in most states now, you can consider larger bikes as well. I'd class things like the Suzuki GS500 and DR400 as good mounts. If you do want a 250, you could check out the Honda CB250, as well as all the other 250 twins.

Cheers - boingk
  10. the GSX250F across has a massive storage place for your helmet and food!
  11. Why do you need a bike that can hit 180km.h anyways? and previously mentioned that someones GSXR250 only managed 130km/h, thats pretty poor :( could be the state of the tune or the really tall gearing though.

I remember having a flying brick (GPX250) and that was a brilliant bike, it was clapped out, falling apart, missing fairing and taught me how to ride better than anything else. At oran I managed to get to 162 at the point where you start to hit the dogleg at the rear of the straight, that was close to redline in top gear.

250's are a much better choice depending on where you live, especially on your insurance each year. I managed plenty of highway speeds on my GPX and it never let me down (except in the rain). If you live somewhere where its predominantly highway travelling or country roads, something a big bigger is probably better. Like the suzi' 500, or if you like older bikes, look at things like the GR650.
  12. Notice how I won't get pedantic and mention that taking a shit would help your acceleration, more so than your top speed?

See! I'm learning restraint :grin:
  13. Yeah, I've never taken mine above 100kph :angel:

14. Thanks everyone for your feedback, helps heaps!

okay, what about 2-cylinder machines?
    What are the main differences in characteristics between 2- and 4-cylinder motors? Which ones are better suited for traveling and touring (higher speeds for longer periods of time)?

Yeah, I was actually thinking about a larger bike as an alternative, how much difference is there in terms of running costs (insurance, registration, services, parts, ...) compared to a 250? If it's not that much I really wouldn't mind a larger engine since I'm rather tall myself and do plan to use the bike for touring and highway travel.
    Which models are fairly popular in this 250-650 category?

Haha yeah! An interesting concept they applied there with a rear-tank.

More in general: Are there actually any 250s that do have frames/bars to carry side backs on the rear flanks? Would be great for travel but I couldn't spot a singe one yet~

Why's that? Did it drown? ^^

On another note, has anyone had experience with bike transport services? I'm living in local Aus and might need to get the bike (once I've bought it) transported out to where I live since a 450km ride 2 days after doing your pre learner's test is a bit long ^^
  15. Twins tend to have more torque lower in the rev range - where you use it around town. 4s are in second before they hit the other end of the intersection, or doing 12,000rpm. They are therefore a bit easier on the brain, and the ears. They feel much more relaxed at speed for extended periods (lower rpm) and will pull out of corners better than a 4 (again, unless you keep it screaming) Generally, in my opinion, a better learner bike.

Bigger engines are nice, but they come with more bulk and more weight, (and a higher price) which can more than offset the power gain, especially for new riders. That said plenty of people start on them and do fine. Running costs I don't think would be too much different, tyres maybe a tad more, parts not as easy since they haven't been around for 20-30 years. Suzuki has a good range of larger LAMS bikes - GS500 has been around for a while, now GSX650, SV650, Gladius etc. Kawa and Honda are now doing more LAMS bikes too, but that's if you're buying new.

It's called a rolling hand-bag. Good for drive-through Maccas, or helmet storage.

Not really, except maybe the cruiser-types, but you can get racks (Ventura, Gearsack etc) for them or strap stuff straight to the seat..

Water has an occasional habit of getting into electrics and causing grief. I never had a problem, but have heard of some.

Depends where - I can recommend MTL who operate out of Melb - get onto Bangr who works for them. Could probably help you out with other locations too.

I did Sydney to Canberra and back in a day, two days after I got my L's. Quickest way to learn, just be careful of merging in and out of trucks on the freeway when you're stuck doing 80km/h. Farkin scary.
  16. my GPX let me down because the 20 year old ignition lead boots were deformed so water would seep into the top of the motor, shorting out the sparkplug to the head. no spark, no run. :(
  17. If I was going to get a LAMS bike on which to do my time then I think the best value for money is a GPX. I'd go for one of them over the Suzuki every time because a lot more GPXs were sold than the Across which means there's a lot more parts going around for them. As a ballpark guide, you should be able to get a very good one for the $4k-$5k (including stamp duty) and less than 5 years old. Its just my opinion but you won't do much better than one of them. If you can find a good Spada then they're worth considering. If you're too tall for one of them then I'm sure someone else can offer another good alternative.