Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki GS500F for a small rider?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by PudL, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Hi,
    I'm looking at buying a 2012 gs500f as my very first bike and I'm happy with what I've heard from reviews about it's power and durability and such however I was concerned by some people saying it's quite a big bike. I'm only 5 foot 6 myself and recently had shoulder surgery, which isn't a major problem, but I wanted to know if any other smaller riders (or any riders at all) out there have had trouble with the size of this bike or have suggestions of other bikes I should check out.

2. This might help with measurements Motorcycle Ergonomics after you have narrowed your options down then go and sit on as many as you can.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks buddy, I'll check it out
  4. She's a bit top heavy, especially with 20L of fuel.
    I'm 6'6" and dropped mine during a U-turn.
    Once past the tipping point, it was all over.
  5. Hi PudLPudL, as indicated, you won't flat foot both sides. The bike is top heavy so will tip. But, apart from grabbing the occasional false neutral, they're a great bike, economical, reasonably basic, easy to maintain, enough power for a new rider. It cruises at 100km/h with ease, and the windshield does a reasonable job.
  6. i ride one. love it.will sit on 100 kph all day easy and with a little twist of the wrist she will go harder. i am 5 9 0r 10 and can flat foot both sides at a light. any bike if you stop in the wrong place can be heavy. if you want to ride a bike be aware of all things around you. any questions send me a message
  7. My first bike was a GS500F and I'm 5' 6", so I've been in your scenario. I got sick of dropping it because it was too top heavy and the seat was too wide for someone with short legs. I did develop stronger legs from managing the weight of the bike and became an expert in lifting it off from the ground. I sold it after 3 months of ownership for a Suzuki SV650s. After changing to the SV650s I enjoyed riding so much more and gained more confidence. Anyway, there are much better bikes out there to learn on than a GS500F - get something fuel injected, something with a fuel gauge, something with a gear indicator would be nice.
  8. "Hey, just because it's all true doesn't mean you can say it out loud!", says the rabid GS500 fan. :whistle:

Seriously, it is true that 20 litres of fuel does make them feel top heavy particularly in very low speed maneuvering. Also, they have fat engine cases - almost the first thing to hit the ground. And fairings are a pain to fix / replace etc. Naked ones tend to be cheaper and it's easier to fit engine bars or Oggy knobs -just a thought.

I'm just shy of 5' 9" and religiously stop in the 'ready' position (left foot down - right foot on rear brake). The bike's weight hasn't been a problem for me. However I did do a lot, seriously a lot, of low speed practice in empty car parks.

All the best, and have fun.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for all your feedback everyone,
    I'm glad I asked before getting my heart too set on a GS500F (y)
    I'll definitely go have a look around at some other bikes
    • Like Like x 1
  10. And if you have recently had shoulder surgery be aware of arm positions with any bike. As a new rider many people dont use their legs and core to hold themselves on the bike properly.

Just something to consider.
  11. Yeah that's a good point, thanks

In response to budget hopefully $5k or less, if I find something I really like I'll go higher as long as there is good resale price incase I eventually decide to change it up
  12. I have both a 500F and zzr250 amongst other things ! You may struggle to get both feet down on the GS which is a deceptively larger and well built bike which was the confidence killer for my partner who would be a similar size.
    While the GS looks sporty once you sit on it certainly feels more upright and requires abit more effort throwing it around as opposed to just steering with your fingers.

Engine wise the GS has a fair bit more torque however setup wise the 250 is significantly lighter and can easily keepup in the hills with a good set of tyres.
    You really need to sit on a variety of bikes and not get sold on one. The reality is if you don't feel confident on the bike you'll just crash it.

DSC_0769.JPG DSC_0770.JPG DSC_0768.JPG
  13. 5k is tons, would not recommend a GS in that region. Ninja 250/300, CB400, CBR250R/300R, Yamaha R15/R3, RC390.
  14. Oddly, I agree with miicahmiicah .
    If I had $5000 there are a couple of GS500s around with less than 10000ks on them that would be groovy. However, even I would say that unless you are completely set on one, $5000 is a lot for a GS500 now days.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 2.5 - 3 is a good deal for a moderate millage one with a few scratches.
    Main thing to watch when buying them is that it doesn't burn oil and has had a valve clearance at some point in its life.

For $5k you'd buy a CB400.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GSX650F? Same seat height as a GS500, same (or similar) weight. Could be had for ~5k now. Would be a much better bike.
  17. Try a Cb400 - low seat, goes well, holds resale value.
  18. CB400 should be a definite consideration. Just sold mine with ~35k with ABS for $5200. Brilliant bike.
  19. The Gs500(and Suzukis in general) are strong; I bought an 06 with 19000ks for 3k then thrashed and barely maintained for another 26k. It still runs fine. It burned oil all its life; particularly when riding at prolonged high rpm.

Riding it slowly is actually pretty easy, all you have to do is keep the revs up. 3-5k works well. Let the engine do the work...