Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki gs500 Spark Lead sliced

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Billsy, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Hey guys.. just put my engine back together but was wondering if spark plug leads are supposed to separate from Coil, as 1 of mine did when i took the cyl head off...jammed lead back in coil but bike won`t start...also, does left piston need to be at TDC with Cam notches facing each other?...had to move crank a bit & lost timing...also I noticed i`ve got only 1 pulse generator coil where as every diagram i seen has top & bottom..so i had to line LT mark up with top marker lol...I know it`s a big ask, but if someone has experience would be much apprec...regards

2. Yes the lead comes off but sounds to me like youv'e stuffed your timing. Can try all you want but even if it does start will run like a pig.
    You need to invest in a manual and redo your timing.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ok...got spark but had a lot of misinformation on net concerning timing but getting closer...never realised how much I missed a bike after not being able to ride :(
  4. Some models have 1 pickup, some 2. A decent manual will set you straight. +1 to getting the valve timing right before you damage something.