Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki GN250 Sump Plug Removal - Help!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by sfkhooper, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Hi, I've just bought myself a Suzuki Solo 1991 GN-250 and I want to give it an oil change but I can't work out if the sump plug needs to be undone clockwise or counter-clockwise. It doesn't seem to want to move in either direction, so I want to be absolutely sure before I get too persuasive with it :)

2. It gets undone counter clock wise when you are looking upwards at it from lying on the ground. As it is a 1991 model it would have been done many times before, but in your case it looks like the last mechanic gave it a real wrench home.
  3. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Learn it, remember it, live by it.

Just don't work on anything with reverse threads :rofl:
  4. If it's being stuburn make sure you don't use a shifter or cheap spanner on it.

Socket or good ring spanner.

If cold doesn't work try it when the bike is hot. Obviously be careful.
  5. Thanks for the responses. I'm a long time advocate of "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey", but I just wanted to be absolutely sure.

I'm going to send the wife into Super Cheap for the right socket. Does anyone happen to know what size it would be? I was trying with a standard spark plug spanner if that helps - hard to get leverage with them though
  6. would only be guessing the size, but why muck around?

Get a proper socket set. For the price of 2 cases of beer you will be set for life.
  7. Fair enough, I have what I think is a good socket set, but the largest is just too small. No, from my office chair I'm not sure what size that is :)
  8. do you have the toolkit that came with it? one of the wrenches in my '81 GN250 kit got the sump plug off with very little effort.
  9. get a breaker bar and a big get ****ed hammer
  10. A lot of sump plugs are the same size as your spark plug socket..co-incidence?
  11. No coincidence. It allows you to use your sump plug in an emergency if you lose a spark plug.
  12. Other way round..you can use an old spark plug as a sump plug,assuming that you can still ride your bike after the sump plug departed dumping the contents of your sump on your rear wheel.
  13. Nope. Put a spark into your sump and it will ignite the oil remnants causing your sump to diesel.
  14. Putting a spark plug in your sump adds 5 horsepower.

Also: if the plug is a bastard and the hex starts to round off or something; your local mechanic will have a single-hex impact socket and a rattle gun for just such an occasion.
  15. Red plugs give six HP
  16. I have one fitted in my exhaust..it ignites the unburnt gases adding even more power..like an afterburner :D