Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki GN250 Idle Problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by kenn0171, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Hello all,

I'm having an intermittent problem with the idle of my 88 GN250.
    It seems that radomly the idle speed will shoot up to around the 3000rpm (as if the choke was on), but then after riding it for a bit, the idle will settle down, but then it will jump up again a bit later (hope that hasn't confused anyone).
    I've played around with the choke, and made sure that its complelty off, but this doesn't seem to make too much a difference. The main thing i'm worried about is gunking up the plug, and then having the bike stall (and not want to restart) when i go to take off from the lights.

Does anyone know if this is normal, or where i should start trying to fault find?

Cheers from another new rider
  2. can you link up anything that consistantly happens when the idle increases?
  3. I know you didnt say this happened ... My Brother had a similar problem with his SR 250 and the revs increased when ever he turned the handlebars.
    We found there was a problem with a kink or something like that with in the throttle cable ( was a few years ago now and memory is faded)

See if thats what doing it.

Hope this helps.
  4. aviper4u: i can't link up anything that consistantly happens with the idle increase unfortunately.

I'll check out the throttle cable and make sure there are no kinks in it, or spots where its getting caught.

Cheers for the response guys :)
  5. I found the source of the problem.
    The actuator (well at least thats what i think its called) that makes the throttle cable spring back to the idle position wasn't always going all the way back, and was getting stuck (i discovered this by paying around a bit).

A bit of dry lube later, and its working like a charm :grin:
  6. Excellent work . Its always satisfying to find and fix a problem yourself,glad to see its solved

My GZ has the same engine as the GN. I have had a few little dramas with it and if I havent solved it with in the next week or so I will post the details and hope someone might have a few ideas.
  7. good work as said above nothing like fixing your own ride. :)