Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki - Gijon - Spain

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by noworries, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Hot on the heels of Suzuki's decision to pull out of the American car market comes another mini-bombshell as the company announces 6/11 that it is closing its Gijon factory iin Spain and pulling out of motorcycle manufacturing in Europe. Sad to say, it seems that it is finally bye-bye GS500 time.

2. No surprise. It's unlikely the GS would have ever met the new Euro emissions regs coming in next year anyway.

Seems like most of the other stuff the factory was making, and even the GS, could easily be moved to China if there is genuinely still a market for it.
  3. Shit. I've got friends who make a sporadic living from teaching English in the area. It's been pretty hard for them lately anyway, given the state of the Spanish economy, and a major factory closure ain't going to help much.
  4. wonder if this is going to be the start of the downfall of suzuki......not good.
  5. Unlikely. They're still making plenty of money out of car sales in Japan and India, not to mention the cars they make for other brands. They're also selling a lot of bikes in China/Asia under the Jincheng brand.

This just seems to be pruning of an unprofitable part of a much larger business, rather than the first stage in the collapse of the entire company.
  6. i hope so.

When you invest in the product of a particular company, then its a concern when there is a questionmark hanging over its long term viability.

blah blah blah
  7. Given that it is still possible and practical to run 1970s Suzuki 2-strokes and slightly later air cooled four strokes, that Suzuki themselves have taken zero interest in for the last quarter of a century, I wouldn't be starting to panic just yet, even if Suzuki disappeared tomorrow as a commercial entity. I'd be a bit pissed off that I wouldn't be able to buy a new DR to replace mine when it wears out though, but that's almost certain to become the case in the next year or so anyway.