Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki DRZ-250 vs. Kawasaki KLX250S

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Magnum P.I., May 22, 2008.

1. I am on the prowl for a new dual sports bike. In fact it will be my first bike....ever.

I am looking to use it to build up experience both on and off road and after a year move on to something bigger for longer trips. Anyway after reading many reviews and speaking to a few dealers I have narrowed it down to these two.

From what I have found:

Suzuki DRZ250 2008
    Reliable
    Simple maintenance (not liquid cooled)
    Easy to ride (and learn on)

Kawasaki KLX250S 2008 (and 2006/7)
    Better suspension
    You can make some mods to give it more beans as I get used to it
    Liquid cooled
    Long service intervals

All in all, to me its a close call, except for the prices
    Suzuki $5,500 vs Kawasaki $6,900

So is the Kawasaki worth $1,500 more? It seems to get a big wrap from owners on some of the forums I have read.

Any opinions or info would be great..

2. LAMS is coming to Victoria very soon...

that means you could look at a dual sport bike other than a 250 if you wanted to.

3. Don't know much about he 250's - Yamaha has also released a pretty good model that got some good feedback.

But agree with ZRX, wait and get a DRZ400 - good all purpose bike till you deicde which way you want to go with your riding.

4. Brand New?
    That's a bit less that I thought.
    I think the suzuki is fairly old design though.
    They haven't updated a thing on it the last couple of years.

KLX250S is a much newer design. It's a little sportier. It's bits and pieces are nicer. Smaller gas tank though.

I don't know whether you'd even notice, being your 1st bike.

Maybe you can talk the kawasaki guy down to $6k. Tell him you got good price on a new DRZ250.