Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (how does is actually work?)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by MelbourneMick, Jul 12, 2011.

1. G'day all,

I have been looking at information on the 2010 / 2011 GSXR 600's and have come across the Suzuki Drive Mode Selector in the specs. The Suzuki website states -
    "Equipped with two performance settings, the refined Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS) offers advanced digital engine management for instantaneous switching between engine maps to suit rider preference or riding conditions. "

I am no mechanic so If you could keep any replies as nontechnical as possible that would be brilliant.

But what does it actually do? Does it have something to do with throttle control?

Does if give you better fuel economy in a different mode?

Is it even worth having or is it a gimic to to entice less experienced riders into believing they can handle one of these bikes?

2. Yes.

Non technical enough?

:)

From what I understand, it alters spark timing & fuel delivery to change the way the power is delivered (ie how fast) & how much power is delivered.

I expect fuel economy would be slightly better/or roughly the same & I expect it's mostly a gimmick.

Just my uninformed opinion.

3. Well considering my post before editing said 'untechnical' I will take whatever answers I can get haha.

So it seems to work in a similar way some LAMS bikes are restricted but this gives the ability to switch between the two.

4. Fuel economy most likely wouldn't change significantly.

Normally a bike's ECU (engine computer) is following only a single set of rules. At the factory they tune how much the injectors spray and when the spark plugs are triggered, and tell the ECU that when the rider moves the throttle a certain amount the bike responds in a certain way.

On a track-only firebreathing racing bike, it would be desireable to have the bike making as much power as it possibly can, and respond instantaneously to its expert rider's instructions. The rider says "Jump!" and the bike says "HOW HIGH?" Aggressive, brutal, ruthless, powerful.

But for a touring bike or commuter a rider would prefer things to be a little less frantic, a little more laid back, cruisy and less urgent. These have their fuelling and spark tuned to be smooth, driveable and easy to ride. The rider doesn't need to be so precise with their throttle inputs all the time and the torque curve is flattened out to make smooth and predictable acceleration possible.

Traditionally, a bike would be one or the other when it was built.

With these 'Drive Mode Selectors', performance selectors and so on, the rider can choose whether he/she wants Jekyll or Hyde for a bike every time they swing a leg over the seat. The different modes let them change how aggressively the throttle responds to the rider's inputs and how much power is available. The bike's computer adjusts the fuelling and spark accordingly.

Gimmick or practicality? It makes some practical sense.

On the days you take your sportsbike to the racetrack you'd probably enjoy the aggressive, eager race tuning. But when it's pissing down rain in the middle of winter and you just want to get home from work in nightmarish traffic, it would be a blessing to have a gentle, smooth throttle response and not have to worry about the bike trying to snap your neck at the twitch of a wrist....

5. Thanks Spots! your reply is greatly appreciated. Makes sense now.

6. Quite alright. :)

Loz did a review of the new Ducati Multistrada which has a fairly advanced mode switching feature - http://www.gizmag.com/ducati-multistrada-1200-s-road-test-review/18976/

The article and video give a good description of the system Ducati implemented. It won't be the same for every bike with different performance modes, of course, but "in general" they have a similar goal and implementation.

7. Although Suzuki tell you its a wizz bang flash system, the only thing that happens is when you go to the second map the ignition gets retarded to make less power. Bit like the way all Suzuki's are retarded in the first 4 gears unless you fit an eliminator.

8. Got it.

9. Great review! The sarcastic sense of humour and technical knowledge is a great blend. The mode switching certainly is a lot clearer now.

10. I rode a 2009 R1 with the similar Yamaha System

Although I never have or will consider myself a top gun rider I would like to state from a joe average position that when I was switching between the "maps" on the R1 that I noticed no significant discernible difference

it was a dry sunny day low 20 degrees temp clear roads etc

to me I came away with the feeling it was more a gimmick than anything

11. My girlfriend has a mode selector switch and it certainly makes a difference.

12. hmmm
    is it
    on
    on or
    on?

13. I didnt know girls had such a switch? where is it located :p
    all the ones i meet seem to be stuck on crazy