Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki - cheap maintenance?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Minority153, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

So let me just explain that I'm going for my learner's course next week with no experience at all.

I am looking to get a suzuki inazuma gw250, and I was just wondering if you could tell me what it's maintenance costs are like? And whether replacement parts are expensive or average?

Like say for instance, with cars, I probably won't go for a honda because replacement parts are supposedly so expensive.

Ps. I'm working on a tight budget.

Thanks in Advance!
  2. Most of the japanese bikes are similar. But bikes are not cheap to maintian in general. Parts are typically twice what an equivalent part on a car would cost.

tyres are relatively expensive and you go through them a lot quicker. Although on that bike, they will be much cheaper than most other bikes.

And then there is the fact you typically service them twice as often as cars.

The biggest saving you can make is servicing the bike yourself. Service centres typically charge $100+ per hour and there is not much you can do in 2 hours.
  3. How would you suggest is the best way to learning about how to service my own bike?
  4. learning to do services yourself will save u heaps of $ over time. When it comes time I'm sure you could prob find someone on here that could show u some simple maintenance and servicing for a case of beer.
  5. Damn, I love this forum 8)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Google whatever your're trying to do at the time (y) And get a service manual.
  7. Agree. Changing oil is a very easy job to do yourself, so that's a good place to start.
  8. If your looking at a new bike remember DIY servicing will void the warranty. But if your on a tight budget why buy new ;)

To answer your question re: cost I have found Suzuki parts are typically more expensive than Kawaskai at least. Actually I have heard of people ordering klx400 parts rather than drz400 parts as the klx is essentially a DRZ painted green. For example Suzuki wanted almost $400 for a headlight lens :eek:
  9. Get on eBay and start searching for parts like filters, brake pads etc for different models and compare them.
  10. #10 Tinkerer, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Go to "you tube" and look at a number of different videos on each service item. Such as 'how to clean & oil your chain'. Each person will show a different method, tool or product to do the same job. Watch as many as you can bear, so that you become familiar with what is involved. You can then choose which method suits you, your bike, and available tools etc. Read the comments of each video to get an idea if the poster knows what they are talking about, or if they are an idiot.

Repeat this for every job you want to try & do.

The Inazuma is a relatively cheap bike to buy & maintain. So a good choice. They are geared very low, so if you spend much time above 60km/h, I'd recommend fitting one or two teeth larger front sprocket.

If you learn to do all the servicing items yourself, they can be very cheap to run. Servicing parts in general for that model would not be expensive.
  11. #11 коннор, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    On the upside, though, servicing a bike is quicker/easier than a car, especially if you choose a relatively simple model (any twin that's been much the same for a couple of decades, such as the GS500, should fit the bill). So if one wants to learn mechanical stuffz, bikes are a good place to start.

I'd get the relevant Haynes or Clymer manual for the bike (which will tell you how to do things, but also have handy things like torque specs and suchlike), then wait for something to need doing and check Youtube for video guides for whatever it ends up being. If people on Youtube contradict what your manual tells you, use your own judgement or ask on a forum.

EDIT: Oh, and one method you may come across for chain lubrication is to spray it on the outside of the chain. This is Not The Right Way, as the inside is the bit that comes into contact with the sprockets and is therefore the side that needs the lube. You may also come across people who put the bike on a stand and have the engine running to get the chain moving (so they done have to spin the wheel by hand), which is almost safe if you spray the outside of the chain (which I've just told you not to do), but is just asking for lost fingers if you're spraying the correct side. If you come back here with missing digits I will slap you upside the head ;).
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Even the most mechanically inept person, such as myself, can do an oil change on a bike.

There's a couple of things you'll need to remember.

1. Use the correct spanner/socket
    2. Put the sump plug back in BEFORE you start filling it back up with oil.
    3. DO NOT cross thread the sump plug.
    4. DO NOT overfill the sump - if oil is coming out of the top - it's way way way over full.
    • Like Like x 1