Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

suzuki bandit headlight mod problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Jez79, Jun 22, 2011.

1. hi guys, recently picked up a 99 bandit 1200 and the first thing to go was the bikini fairing and headlight, which i have now replaced with a twin headlight and small screen.

my problem is that the original headlight was the 3 pronged H4 and i have now found that my new light houses the 2 pronged H7 bulbs :(

what i'm trying to work out, is can i mod the housing to fit the H4? and if not, can i wire it so that only one light works for low beam and 2 lights for high beam? just need to know how to wire it if thats the case, do i run earth into both, high into both, and low into one? or will this short the system as the high and low are connected??

sorry, bit confused on this one, thanks for any help!!

2. oh, i should mention that i tried wiring low to one H7 bulb and high to the other but the problem is that the low beam wire turns off when high is engaged (although both come on when i use the 'pass' button using this wiring method)

3. First you'd want to test that your alternator can put out enough current to run 2 H7 globes, the ignition and charge the battery at the same time.

If it can, then you'll need to use a relay. The best way to improve lighting is to run some heavy (like 20A) leads from the fuse near the battery to just behind the headlight assembly straight into the low beam light, and use the lead from the high beam switch to trigger the relay and parallel the two lamps.

Running the heavier cable will reduce the voltage drop across the cables (that are usually inadequate from factory anyway) and improve brightness.

Without seeing a circuit diagram or tracing it out I can't tell you exactly how to do this but just conncting the low to high as you propose will mean there will never be a state when the low only is on.

4. 96-2000gsf1200.

Wokwon's points are good, be careful the electrical load is not greater than it was. I think a relay that puts 12V on the Low beam light and coil comes off the high beam circuit would be the simple approach. Good Luck. :)