Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki Bandit 250cc

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Badsi, Dec 21, 2008.

1. I just purchased a Suzuki Bandit 250cc Limited Edition. I am new to a manual bike. I've been ridding a 50cc 2 stroke scooter for about 6 months. After I've taken the bike for a few rides I've noticed that the bike behaves a bit wired on the first gear while taking off on lights. There is a "death silence" while taking off and it just doesn’t want to go faster .. I'm quite sure I'm on first gear! What might be the problem? Any ideas? It might be my fault I don’t really know.. I’m still learning and it seems really dangerous to me when a car is sitting on my ass and waiting till I take off .. Sometimes it goes well sometimes it does this strange thing :( What is the basic rule in taking off ? I’m taking of from about 2500/3000 and it sounds "right". Oh and one more question: I need to buy new mirrors and a windscreen. The handle mirror has 11 inches what is really long >>??<< Suzuki bandits don’t have a windscreen usually because they are naked. This one has because its a special edition.. Length 12 inches, width 14 inches. Hope those questions don’t sound too stupid :D Would appreciate any help :)

2. id double check you are in first.
    have a bit of a practice taking off in the back yard or in a quiet back street.

If its like the common gear selection it should be 1 - N - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - (6).

make sure that you are first by pushing the selector down until it does not click any further.
    if you lift it once, it should get Neutral or 2nd if you went too far.
    if it gets 3rd, you werent in first.

also, make sure you are releasing the clutch fully too.
  3. Don't be afraid to give it plenty of revs and slip the clutch, bandit 250s in my experience don't have much in the way of torque down low.
  4. What he said and these bikes are known fro a dead/flat spot at about the revs you describe.
  5. +1, by adjusting the carbs I can move the dead spot around, but not get rid of it, mine is at around 3.5 thou. try slipping the clutch at about 5000 revs, before you know it you'll be doing 10000 rev takeoffs.
  6. i used anywhere from 6000 to 8000rpm to get off the line cleanly. i am 195cm/95kg tho.

these motors need to be rev'ed! i took mine out to 16,500rpm all day every day and it never let me douwn. great motor!
  7. Thx for help guys :) Just need some practise I guess ..
  8. I now own this bike and learnt very quickly that revs are my friend. Lots of revs on take off, and give it a fair bit all day. Good little bikes, as my first i would recommend to anyone for ease of use.