Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki Bandit 250 Choke Question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by zerogeewhiz, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Hi y'all (be kind to the noob, etc.)

I've just taken delivery of a 1993 Suzuki Bandit 250 that's running a bit rich. I thought maybe it just needed a bit of a tune then noticed that the lever for the choke only moves about half of the travel of what it looks like it should.

Has anyone had this problem before? I'm guessing the cable is stretched but I don't want to embark on that if it's one of those silly little problems everyone has that is easy fixed with percussive maintenance or a spray of WD40.

Cheers!

zed.

2. The other end of the cable should be attached to a sliding bar on the carbs. First thing to do is check whether that can move freely and to the limits of its travel. It's possible it may have gotten gunked up or corroded and not uncommon for it to not want to go back to where it's supposed to. If it's sticking try cleaning any obvious crud then soak with CRC/WD40 and see if that improves things. If there's obvious corrosion you may need to dismantle the carbs to clean/replace corroded components.
    If everything's moving fine check to see if the choke lever does in fact move it fully, and that it does in fact return back to its original position when you set the choke lever to off. If so there's no problems, if not then the choke cable needs replacing.

3. Boom! I love these forums! :)

Thanks, will take your advice and have a look at the slider.

Cheers,

zed