Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by ametha elf, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Hubby just bought himself an '06 Suzi Bandit GSF1200S. He hasn't stopped smiling since we got it home yesterday. Hes rapt in how easy it runs and handles. Does anyone have one of these? Are they as good as they seem to be? I've read through all the reviews and almost everyone seems to give it the thumbs up, my main concern is how good the engine is, long term.

2. I had an 06 Bandit 1200S and it was a great bike, never let me down once. It was a significantly better handling bike than my 99 Bandit as well.

I've been looking at a new 1250 Bandit for my next bike... I guess I'm stuck in a rut :)
  3. I have an '02 1200s. Had it from new. It's certainly not the best bike on the market, but it is probably the best value for money bike on the market.

Mine has 70,000km on it and is still going strong. The 1200 (1152cc) motor has been around in one form or another since the GSX1100R days, if not before. Basically as long as you put fresh oil in it now and again the engine will last for years.

The only problems I've had with it have been caused by 'user error'.

I've ridden lots of other bikes since buying the bandit, and I'm yet to ride one that makes me want to sell it.
  4. Had the GSX1400 not been available, the Bandit was definitely on the shortlist.
  5. Long term Suzuki reliability is up there with the best of them - Bandits in various guises have been known to easily go 'round the clock if looked after well.

FWIW, I also reckon they have one of the best gearchanges in the game. Make my late Aprilia feel like a tanks gearshift!

Cheers - boingks
  6. I have a 2001 Bandit 1200S with 134,000km on the clock.
    It has never missed a beat in all that time, with only regular servicing seeing it off the road.
    I did spend $1100 on new Race Tech suspension a couple of months ago as the original suspension was definitely beyond its use by date. threw in a set of braided brake lines and hey presto! new bike!
    These bikes will still be around in a hundred years I reckon!
  7. And the 1200 (IIRC) doesnt have that dodgy water cooling bizzo !
  8. hahahaha. A few years ago I test rode a few BMW's. I told the salesman that my biggest issue was the gearbox. He asked what I currently rode, and then told me that I'm going to be dissapointed in just about any gearbox after riding the Bandit for so many years.

A triumph dealer (also Suzuki) told me the same thing after I test rode a Sprint GT.
  9. Well, what can I say. Hes given it a good test over the last few days, have covered many many klms in the last week :) Thumbs up all round, he says its the best bike hes ever ridden, I have a happy husband, and its good to have my riding partner back on the road again too.
  10. i have an 04 that has done 60000 km's....it has a bullet proof engine, as b12mick says, it draws a lot from the gsxr1100 ( and is basically a bored out bigger version of that ). these will go for ages here...a mate who has had both the 1200 and then the 1250 water cooled said he preferred the 1200, much better ride....

you will have no issues with the bike provided its looked after..
  11. Thanks for sharing, sounds like a solid ride.
    Here's to many roads travelled!
  12. 8-[ ummm, twilight zone music, me too :beer:
    Only bike I liked so much I bought another one. 99 model had more mid range but fuel economy was for shite. I still got my 06 and neither ever missed a beat.
    I then went for a GSX14 though instead of the the 1250 Bandit, as 1250 is a completely different animal and donk from the old bullet proof 1200 production run.