Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki Across sounding like a dirt bike

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by BLITZiT, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

I was riding my bike yesterday and all of a sudden it made a pop and then started to sound like a dirt bike :? . If I took it past 5rpm it would then backfire loudly. I could also feel more heat than usual coming from the engine :mad: .

I haven't really looked at it without the fairings since this happened, but does anyone have any idea what this could be?

2. Nope, but it sounds very bad, I reckon it might have shat itself. To the mechanic's pronto, in a trailer 'cause running it might root it worse and I wouldn't expect a small bill either.
  3. I was hoping it was only the exhaust or something coming off, or even dirty spark plugs...
  4. +1 to loz

U might have got lucky sounds like u blew the spark plug thread of a cylinder, u can ckeck by having a look at if one of your spark plug leads is loos, its a reltivly easy fix, $150 ish

Or maybe blew a exhust seal. 100 is

But then again u might have lost a vavle, then your in poo poo
    start looking at new engines on ebay
  5. Well it seems you would be right Zbike. I took the storage part on my bike off to look at the spark plug and it turns out that the area where the spark plug screws into is stripped... grrr (o well better that then a blown piston)

Now I understand after a bit of research there are kits for this. I have two questions.

1. How much would I be looking at for a do it yourself kit?

2. What causes the thread to strip like this as I have not touched the spark plugs since I've had the bike.

Thanks guys

6. slam dunk to me,

1)ok the kits cost about $20 u can buy them from any auto store such as supa cheap auto barn pro ect. there are several thread repair kits make sure u get one thats says it specificly for stripped spark plug repair as there are weaker ones for general use.

its not hard to do but its a bit harder to do it properly, lube the spark plug with the stuff from the kit. then mix the two glue parts and quickly coat the striped thread area then screw the plug in, wait a few minutes and take the spark plug out.

PS ive never done it on an engine but have on other pieces.

Its best to do it with the head of (motor in pieces) as there is a risk of droping some glue into ur engine and rooting a piston. (but this is very time consuming or expensive)

Id recommend u take it to a mechanic and get them to do it for you its a common problem, and cost $150 to fix on a car, might be harder on a your bike has there is a tendancy to place spark plugs deeper inside the engine.

2) shit happens, could be someone over tightened or undertightend or tightened croket the spark plug last time, Thats the most common cause, then it could just be the thread failed due to bad piece of metal.