Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

suzuki across question 94 model

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by wilburr, Dec 27, 2009.

1. hi hows it goin i got my first bike for a couple grand to get me thru the l's & p's which is 12 to 18 more months. there is a noise in the engine which i geuss is the cam chain or tensioner do you think it would be worth getting a major service and new cam chain & tensioner i would only want to spend about $500on it do you think that would cover it . would i need new cams or anything else as spending to much would not be worth it it has done 60000k's and still goes pretty good i put some fuel cleaner thru it and that quieted the noise and improved performence. thanks for advice

2. $500 should cover a major service, but it won't run to a pro camchain job. Given that the Across is a faired, watercooled four, I can see the labour charges being quite steep, although if the fairings and pipework are already off to do the valve clearances, that would bring it down a bit.

Others may be able to comment in more detail, but I wouldn't expect much change from $1k for service and camchain from a shop.
  3. i thought 5 would cover the lot and they can chuck a new chain on while they got it apart
    im considering doing it myself from the videos on you tube
  4. hi does anybody know if its got a automatic tensioner or manual and is that it sticking out the back of the head in the middle maybe all i need is a tensioner cause ive read that a timming chain will last 100000k's thanks for any advice
  5. yes im pretty sure what im looking at is the tensioner its under the carbi i will try that first
  6. how'd ya go with the tensioner buddy? i'am about to give mine a go, same situation, bout 60,000km and is just a learner bike so dont wanna spend too much but also want it running at its best.