Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki Across - parts needed and how to paint exhaust

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by horto15, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

Im looking at getting a few parts for my across from where previous owners have dropped it – not too worried about the scratched fairings but a couple of bits and pieces I do want to fix up are:

New rear tail light cover – mine has been broken and super glued back together
    New handlebar ends – mine have scratches and have started rusting

Does anyone know of a place I could get these parts (I’m in Tasmania but happy to pay shipping) that would be in good condition?

Also, the exhaust is scratched and some light rust – I want to respray this and from what I have read I should sand it right back then use some primer and exhaust manifold paint, is that correct? I would probably be happy just to cover the bike in newspaper and spray it while still attached as I’m not too worried about doing an awesome job of it.

Thanks a lot guys
  2. No need to prime, most exhaust manifold (flame proof) paints are self-priming. You will need to sand back as much of the coarse rust as possible, then treat what's left with rust converter (phosphoric acid) to make sure you've got rid of it all, otherwise it'll just come back within 12 months or so. Respraying with the pipes in place is possible, heat proof paint tends to be fairly thin and need multiple coats to get decent colour, and it won't cure until it's heated so any bad overspray can usually be cleaned off with a bit of turps.
    Good luck with it.
  3. Thanks for the info mate, I appreciate the input and will have a go at it next week :)

I also think I have traced down a wreckers in S.A called Team Show and Go Australia - I cant find any down in Tassie that have Across parts. Sucks!
  4. The bar ends you should be able to order through any Suzuki dealer, shouldn't be much more than 5 bucks each for the metal end caps.