Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suzuki Across always stalls - won't even move

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Merkin, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Hi I recently started up my across after a year of no use and have had a huge amount of problems with it. I have troubleshooted most of them but am at a point where I am not sure that I can do any more.

The bike starts up without too many problems now, though I have been using aerostart when it is being difficult. It runs a little 'rough' (sounds a little bit like a lawnmower) but revs OK, however whenever I put it in gear and start releasing the clutch it stalls every time and seems to have no power even if I drop the clutch at high revs.

I have done the following:
    - installed a new battery
    - installed new spark plugs - there is a strong spark
    - checked the throttle slide holders - they have about 0.5mm of movement
    - removed, stripped and cleaned the carbs
    - drained the petrol tank and replaced with new petrol and a little wynns 'spitfire' (the old petrol was black when it came out)
    - cleaned air filter with compressor and vacuum
    - adjusted idle screws
    - checked fuelcock - no blockage
    - checked fuel supply at carbs - plenty coming through

I might have done a couple more things but that is all I can remember for now.

It blew alot of smoke out when I first started it but it is running very clean now. I tried a quick 'compression test' by sticking my thumb over an open spark plug hole and there was little to no pressure which makes me think it could be a compression problem.

The thing is - it ran just fine a year ago so I doubt the rings would be the problem as they would wear down, maybe the valves have seized?

Can anyone suggest anything I could do to figure out what the problem is - I just want to get the bike going so I can take it to a mechanic to get a full service (I shudder to think what this could cost).

Thanks for reading.
    Brad