Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

suspension rebuilds on large-capacity cruiser

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by voyager, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Getting the suspension rebuilt on my XV1600, and was curious as to the best method to do the front. I'll be adding about 200lbs to the rear spring, and then getting the front shocks re-oiled, wherein lies my question.

The mechanics have said I have 2 options:

the first is to leave the forks on the bike, suck out as much oil as possible, and then refill with the heavier-grade oil. The other option is to take the forks off, strip, drain and refill.

Obviously, one method is more expensive than the other, although both are within budget. Is the latter option a better option, or will it not make a great deal of difference in the end? I'm particularly interested in the ride quality AND the mechanical soundness of the work for each method.

2. while we're on the subject.... how hard is it to change from damping rod fork to a cartridge fork??

could this be a 3rd option because it's a much better technology.
  3. Whilst fork oil will make some change, for less than $200 I put Progressive Suspension fork springs in my Harley. Improved handling in corners, over bumps and on uneven roads.

A fork brace may also help with your front end.
  4. How do I find out if I have such things in/on my bike already?
  5. A fork brace connects the bottom part of your forks called the sliders & sits just atop your guard, it increases torsional rigidity, don’t know if that’s what you’re looking for, i have never seen fork braces on bikes with fork covers such as fatboys or your XV.

I would go heavier grade fork oil to begin with, if that doesn’t solve your ride issues i would then have forks stripped and replace with progressive springs, and whilst you’ve got the forks off it’s a good time to throw in replacement upper and lower steering head bearings.
  6. Thanks - I don't think I need a brace, just to stiffen the suspension up there to keep it in line with the rear spring replacement. Trying to keep the ride quality high and consistent across the bike. The only "complaint" I have with the bike in its current configuration is a tendency for a fairly strong dive in the front - I put it down to my fat arse adding to the bike's weight, but recently I've begun to question that.

I'll take your advice and just go the drain and refill - see how that goes.

Thanks everyone!