Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suspension preload adjustment

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by blueymd, Jan 31, 2006.

1. hey i've just bought a '97 kawassaki gpx250 and i'm buggered if i have any idea how to adjust the preload on the rear suspension. i'm planning on taking my wife on the pillion but i'd like to make sure the bike is properly set up to carry us both. any help would be much appreciated.

2. Find the rear shock, there should be some sort of stepped collar on it at the end of the spring. Turning this (some require a special tool, don't know about the GPX) will compress/extend the spring.
  3. any idea about which way i want to turn it to set it up for carrying myself and my wife?
  4. Yep, you need to turn it 'up', that is, make the spring under more tension, not less.
  5. :LOL: Up is a very relative term, turn it so the spring compresses to increase preload.
    Edit: if in doubt adjust it then try pushing down on the seat to see if the spring feels firmer, if not then turn it the other way.
  6. You'll be able to work it out, the collar will push the bottom of the spring upwards. The further up it goes, the more the preload.

You should have a tool for preload adjuctment in your bike's toolkit - it's a c-shaped spanner that locks into holes in the preload collar.
  7. thanks for the help guys. sounds pretty straight forward. any idea where i can pick up a gpz250 emanual? i've got the gpx supplment but not the base and i can't bring myself to forking out tonnes of cash for one as i'm not likely to use it terribly often.

8. yeah i've been there done that they've all got the supplement but nowhere i've found has the base manual. one last query. how often should i do an oil change and how often should i change the filter?