Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suspension issue.....bottoming out

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Jeremy, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Greetings gurus.......

Having the missus on the back of my ZZR250 the last couple of weeks has brought up a bit of a problem......the bike keeps bottoming out :eek:

As a combined weight, we're not huge....around the 135-140kilo mark with all our gear on......the load rating of a GPX/ZZR is allegedly 154kg, so we're ok there?
    I checked the rear preload, and it's at it's maximum (5), so theres nothing more i can do as far as adjustment goes.....
    The bike is a '96 model, and has done 40 000k's.....how long do springs/shocks last on bikes?
    And where would I go for a replacement? The dealer?

thanks in advance...
  2. It's a 250, although it has a rear "seat" it was not built or designed for pillioning.
    I wouldn't waste your time trying to fix the problem, if you uprate the rear spring, it will likely handle poorly solo.
    Are you checking the spring preload, or shock damping?

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Preload....as described in the manual....damping isn't adjustable on this bike as far as I know.
  4. There is really nothing you can do about it except for getting a heavier spring. :?

But as mentioned above, it will probably ruin the handling one up.
  5. So it's not likely to be a stuffed shock absorber?
  6. The preload will still be set at 65kg .. You will have to adjust it right up, it will be a bit stiffer when you ride but not too bad..

Locate the shock/spring. You have to undo the lock nut and wind down the lower nut to stiffen up spring load. Redo up lock nut and away you go.. The bike will cope with the combined weight no probs..

You may have to get a shop to do it if you arent sure or dont have the right tools. Will take them 10 mins most likely..
  7. where in adelaide are you located jeremy?
  8. Nailsworth......Near medindie/North Adelaide.
  9. Arr bugger I'm down south, so could have put you onto a couple of bike mechanics down my way.
    I'm sure theres plenty of bike mechanics up your way.
    theres no harm in giving some a call and ask the question

To me it sounds like you have 2 options
    1 get a bigger bike
    2 buy a bike for your missus

good luck jezza