Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suspension Adjustments..

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Blue14, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Who has ever really had a play with there suspension settings?? Well i thought it was about time i had a go at the settings and see what i could come up with. I had stiffened the rear spring a while back and hadnt really sat down and played with the front. Well after reading a settings chart and getting some advice i made some adjustments. I always felt the 12 handled not to bad, and maybe my riding ability needed some more time for improvement. :grin: But after these changes what a difference i have made to it. It used to tend to under steer i felt, which i thought was me, but now its a different bike altogether, feels much more stable through cornering and here i was thinking it was me.. :grin:

2. Whenever I go for a long ride I carry one of those stubby screwdrivers in my pocket to play with the suspension as I go.

About a week after I bought it I cranked up the preload front and rear, the only things I mess with now are the damping settings, but yeah it has a major effect on the way the bike handles.
  3. when i picked up my cbx750f i was riding home and thought oh geez, this is bloody terrible! got home, checked the pressures, front tyre was 28psi, rear tyre was 30psi, rear suspension was on 5psi ( can be up to 57psi! i put it on 40 ;) ) and front was on 12psi and should not be over 6psi. No wonder i thought i was going to die coming home on the freeway doing 110 in the pouring rain! haha Not wrong about the difference it makes, i know i still need work but i cant blame the bike no more.....hehe
  4. Top suspension adjusting tips: 1. write down the stock settings so you can go back if you make a mess. 2. check tyre pressures first. 3. put a zip-tie around the fork tube/shock strut to make sure you're using all the travel: too stiff, you're paying for suspension travel you're not using; too soft, you use it all up too quick and there's still shock to be controlled and no travel to do it.