Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Suspended licence, when can I upgrade it?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by ad91on, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hi all,

So I got pinged in December 2009 for doing 155 in a 100 zone in the Victorian outback... After the officer stated how "disgusting" the offense was, he gave me my 12 months suspension and $550 fine and off he goes.

I was in my car at the time, doing an around Australia trip, so luckily I had 28 days to finish up.

So I get back to NSW and assume my license has been suspended as of the 6th of January. So I don't drive from then on.

I get a letter in March saying that my license is suspended in NSW as of 6th of March for nine months. Bastards.

I officially got my license back on the 7th of January this year (2011). Cool.

So what has this got to do with anything?

While I was on my car P2's, I was on my rider P1's at the time of the offense. Both licenses were suspended due to the accrual of 8 points, and progress on them was also suspended.

Which leaves me in a strange situation...

I don't know when I can upgrade my riders to my P2's. I have already asked the RTA twice and gotten different answers. One said I could upgrade them on the 15th of April this year. When I went in to do the test and renew my riders license (which expired on the 14th of april, rather annoying) they said I couldn't upgrade for some time, i think may of june they said?

Basically I don't trust what they are saying now. If I got my P's on july 7th 2009, had them valid until march 6th 2010 (7 months), got them back on january 7th 2011 and it's now april 28th (4 and a bit months), that means i've had them valid for... 11 months and a bit.

Is that right? Am I crazy or is the rta taking me for a ride? Do I renew next month or can I already, or is this just a really stupid question?

It makes sense to be renewing them next month, but jeeze I am confused...

If someone could either confirm my confusion or tell me what I should be doing it would be much appreciated.

On a side note; can you take a pillion on your green p's?

Thanks fellas.

2. Take a look here: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/car/provisional_licence.html

Understand it may be a little different under the circumstances (not really sure how it works when you were interstate at the time of the infringement?), but that link suggests you need to do you 12 months on your P1's, but "add on" the 9(?) months suspension.
    So, you'd be allowed to upgrade to P2 after holding your P1 for a grand total of 21 months (ie 12 months as normal, plus the 9 month suspension).

3. +1, although the relevant page is http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/motorcycle/provisional_rider_licence.html.

Late May-early June sounds about right - as your licence expired on 14 April you still need to serve another month on your P1 once you renew it (which you should do ASAP).

4. Thanks guys, i really just needed to confirm my thoughts with people who have an idea about these things. I have renewed my p's but am looking forward to upgrading because it's just the worst photo on the license.... the hair is just so bad.

5. In Victoria I think you can take a pillion on green p's as you have no restrictions except 0.00 BAC, not sure what the go is in NSW.