Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Suspected stolen/abandoned motorcycle

Discussion in 'Stolen Bike Register' started by Jack096, May 4, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

so I've been in melbourne for about two month now, and I've noticed a bike sitting in the same place every single time I walk past it.

in the two months I've been here the black yamaha YZF R15 sitting beside the road on swanston/ la trobe st near the tram stop has not moved a single inch. I've walked past it in the morning on the way to work, in the middle of the day on the way home from work and late at night when roaming the city - I've probably walked past it hundreds of times and it has not moved at all.

I'm guessing it's an abandoned bike - is some sort of police thing I can call with the rego number and check the status on it (reported stolen, abandoned etc?).

to be quite honest, If it's abandoned - I want it! whats the legal process for acquiring an abandoned bike?
  2. It would belong to someone. Stolen and abandoned even ..... someone will own it. Even a R15 can be loved. :)
  3. oh its a good looking bike for sure, and I'm sure someone has legal 'ownership' of the bike.
  4. Yes, take the registration and report it to the police. If it is someone who lives in the area or if it has been reported missing they will know.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Your better off just going and purchasing one rather than trying to claim/obtain/purchase this one.
  6. Maybe it's NessNess 's..... ;)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. You can check the rego status here https://vre.vicroads.vic.gov.au/VRESearch.aspx
    If it's got rego and it's legally parked then no-one can touch it.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I've noticed this bike as well! I see it every morning on the way to work. It's definitely abandoned. The thing has so many leaves jammed down the front of the windshield.
  9. Yet nobodies knocked it off. Odd.
  10. I think because it's in such a high foot traffic area (literally in the middle of the CBD), no one has really noticed it. Initially I just assumed it must belong to someone who worked in the convenience store across from it.
  11. You can't really acquire anything you spotted abandoned. Usually it will end up impounded whilst they try to resolve it with the owner, then if all else fails it will go through some type of public trustee auction. They are usually advertised in a local paper somewhere. Sometimes a bargain can be had because people generally don't attend such auctions with motorcycles in mind so sometimes they go for a song.
  12. lol....ahh the morals around borrowing from an already stolen, trashed, and abandoned bike.....

there was a cbr obviously stolen and left at my work last year. was there for about a week and every time i went past i considered borrowing its seat cowl cause i dont have one lol....it had been stripped of a lot of stuff so im guessing someone stole it to repair another bike, and it would definately have been a write off.

I didn't, cause it's not mine. but i thought about it, in all likelihood it was just going to an insurance company who wouldnt care anyway.