Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

surviving the peak hour?? all sugestions

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jeffatav, Aug 28, 2006.

1. I know this topic has probably been done to a dinner, but all the advice is wanted (needed!) to survive sydney's peak hour.
    I have had many "near misses" by simply NEVER RIDE BESIDE A CAR and overtake FAST! and buffering etc
    any other suggestions and techniques will be appreciated.

2. I think you pretty much have it covered if you're keeping your buffer zone in check and staying alert. Remember to set up your brakes if you see something that could cause trouble, it takes no effort to do it.

I personally find that filtering to the front of the lights (while the lights are still red, or green if there is heaps of traffic in front) and taking off first to be good for at least a half minute respite. Just remember to keep a watch in your mirrors for people who fail to see you stopped at lights.
  3. This is something that I've been giving a lot of thought to lately as well.

With my bike getting onto the road next week sometime and not having ridden in Sydney traffic before I'm a little hesitant to use her as a commuter.

Any tips from Sydney riders would be much appreciated ie Am I better taking Great Western Hwy into the city of M4?
    treat them as they WANT to knock you over!!!!!!!!!
  5. say ahead of the traffic, :grin:

do it fast, do it furious :cool:

i tend to make sure the bike is reving loud, so people tend to hear you, plus it sounds ohhh so blissful :)
  6. ride like everyone is out to kill you .. be alert be heard be seen
  7. Yeah I ride a V-twin with yoshi pipes and there are still people out there who don't listen to well, even if their windows are shaking and still try to merge into you. :evil:
  8. Not sure if I am qualify to give comments here as I've only been riding for a month.. ha.

Stay away from their blind spot.. and make sure they see you all the time.

I always presume they don't see me and do something silly e.g. cut in. If that happens, do I have enough space and time to move around?
  9. Tradesmens utes and white panel vans......avoid at all cost, they really are out to kill you! Everyone else just doesn't care about you. :?

10. Hey Jeff heres a couple of tips I myself use and work for me , take what you want and safe travels brother.

1. I when travelling on a road with two or more lanes in one direction and with median strip in centre most always stick to the right lane.
    I try to avoid the inside lane because cars tend to sneak in from side streets or traffic will want to exit to side streets without indicating thus crossing in front of you if youre in the inside lane.

2.Beaware and ready for action to whats coming up the road if you traverse the road often.
    Servos are a classic , fastfood stores people eating on thier lap in cars, shopping centre exits/entry, motorway exits, and entry points , a lot of people panic when they miss thier exit and just reef the wheel with out indicating again being in the outside/right hand lane is best for me.

3.As spoken before try and get to the front at lights without putting yourself at risk ,pick your times ,I say no to filtering when cars are moving but yes when stopped and still only if I can get through without banging mirriors ,check for bikes in your mirriors doing the same thing , try and not follow another bike if its filtering as he/she may not be aware that your behind them leaving you in a car sambo at the front of the lights gets the heart going.

4.(this comes with time on bike )Set up for braking when you see a lot of brake lights lights up ahead if you change to the the inside lane look for wheels turned outward good sign that car is about to pull out and large gaps in between cars stopped gives car plenty of room to pull out without checking or indicating, and cars hugging the centre line is a giveaway that theyre thinking of changing lanes.

5. My pet hate is people who smoke whilst driving ,Visor down esp on motorways highways and main roads , I have been hit with ciggy butts on 4 occasions and had one roll down my jacket burning me , had to stop for that one I reported the rest and once managed to get them at the lights giving them an earfull not that it worried them its hard to say something without facial expressions with a fullface on , I can smell smokers before I see them.

Happy travels.[/u]
  11. Look at the traffic as a flowing river, look ahead see if traffic is slowing changing lanes etc. Anticipate but never assume you know what cars are going to do.

You need to balance aggresiveness with caution, oh and like any good river look out for submerged logs ie cars that do the unexpected.

Leave home to go to work a bit earlier for the first few months, this way if you don't feel like splitting etc you wont feel pressured into making mistakes.

PRACTICE PRACTICE, I now have 14,000kms up and all peak hour commutting and I am having a ball.
  12. Yep, the one about checking for other filterers before making the decision to filter is a good one - I nearly got cleaned up from behind by a scooter (!) the other day. So many factors for a relative n00b to weigh up in deciding whether to go ahead with the filter that it's easy just to make that judgement and go... not realising another rider is already between the lanes.
  13. Always do a quick scan of what people are doing inside their car. I mean a really quick look. You will see people on the phone, watching a dvd while driving (seriously :eek: ), drinking or eating etc. Also keep an eye out for vehicles that have lots of people in them or mum and kids, as all of these things are going to divert their attention away from you. You can even spot people doing their blind spot head check which is a major warning.

It's a good idea to cover your front brake if you can see someone waiting to pull out of a side street. Scan their wheels, watch for any movement of their tyres.

Always stay in gear and ready to move off when waiting at lights or intersections. Don't box yourself in either, make sure you position yourself with an escape plan in case you have to get out of the way.

Know alternate routes even if they take a bit longer, sometimes you just need to go a quiter way. Also leave with plenty of time to get to work, if you are running late then don't rush, it's not worth it. If you can wait for peak hour to subside.

Avoid utes, farm or heavy equipment. Watch out for uncovered loads and these disgusting pig or cattle trucks. :evil:

Lane split if and when it feels right, don't feel pressured to do it, and if you do it make sure you are ready to go and are in first gear otherwise you could end up with a ass as a garage. :shock:
  14. Move around in your lane. Movement prevents camoflauge.

Beware of Commodore drivers. They all think they drive a fast vehicle and get pissed when they are out accellerated by a postie bike.

Trust your gut. If you suspect something isn't right, back off. Someone is about to do a u-y in front of you or similar.
  15. Ride like you are invisible.

That's all I have to say.
  16. Pretty top tips suggested so far.

Here are a couple more:

Space. Create it and maintain it.

Ride infront, or ride behind, but as far as practical, never ride beside.

Keep your head on a swivel and maintain a mental radar map of the traffic around you.

Don't get boxed in.

"Read" the traffic - see which cars have aggressive body language and avoid them.

If you're going to tailgate, have an emergency escape plan at the top of your mind.

Avoid being behind any tradey ute, trailer, tip truck, or van

Welcome to defensive riding.
  17. And you didnt pick up the cigarette and flick it back at them? :twisted:

thats what i would have done
  18. Down here in Melb., in the Eastern suburbs you just assume that every woman in a 4x4 will overlook you completely.
  19. Another one:

Don't get so worried about everyone else that you forget to enjoy your ride.

Sure, you should be very aware and take in everything around you, but remember that riding a bike should be enjoyable, if you lose that enjoyment factor then whats the point in riding?

Take care, but don't stress out.
  20. [/quote]And you didnt pick up the cigarette and flick it back at them?

thats what i would have done