Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Survival Reactions - the list:

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by robsalvv, Aug 17, 2007.

1. There's lots of talk of SR's about the place. These are automatic involuntary reactions or errors we make while riding when our "survival" is threatened - or IMPORTANTLY, PERCEIVED to be threatened.

Freeing yourself from them will improve your riding.

So what are they? Well, here is the list of 7 that KC and his SBS's are alllllll about....

1. Rolling off the gas
    2. Tightening on the bars
    3. Narrowed and frantically hunting field of view
    4. Fixed attention (on something)
    5. Steering in the direction of the fixed attention
    6. No steering (frozen) or inneffective (not quick enough or too early) steeering
    7. Braking errors (both over and under braking).

...so how many of you are say, "Holy shit! That's how I ride every blood day???". LOL.

The exercises you learn at super bike school cornering courses and in TOTW's all pretty much go towards freeing yourself from the hold of the SR's.

Without the books or the courses the list might not mean that much, but seeing what they are should be enough of a primer for thinking riders to get their own ball rolling.

If you've ever rolled off or been chopping the throttle in mid corner, grabbed the brakes when you didn't consciously mean to, tightened up, death gripped the bars, target fixated... etc... you've just observed an SR... understand what you did or what you thought threatened you, and how your reaction worked against you and the bike... and you'll be on your way to working WITH your bike and NOT against it and riding more safely.

Goodluck with your riding!

Rob :)
  2. Where is the screaming in fear and filling your leathers with terror sweat?

They have also missed out on trimming the bike mid corner with the rear brake. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

In all seriousness, an excellent and comprehensive post Rob. Good work, and these things are stuff I still supress (sp?) when I get into a tight spot to this day.
  3. Time on bike

Time in traffic

Time in the real world

Time on bike.

4. Skuff, I went to a training day once that had plenty of old timers and long timers in the mix... The old timers specifically and some of the long timers walked away from the day amazed at what they had learned and how much their riding improved. The two biggest improvements... and I still shake my head about it all these years later... were using counter steering and using front brakes.

So though time on bike IS important, time on bike doesn't necessarily resolve SR's if you're already operating with the wrong information in your mind and especially if you ARE NOT thinking about reducing SR grip on your technique.

:LOL: @ VTRelmarco - the pants filling, helmet screaming SR goes without saying! ...it follows shortly after a hot entry into a tightening radius corner with a poorly sighted set up and weak counter steer...
  5. +1

These things aren't generally stuff that you just learn from riding, it takes alot of training your mind and thinking about it whilst riding to get some control back over your natural reactions. I'm still working on avoiding rolling off mid corner - not 100%, but almost there - trying to learn the lesson before I get a bigger bike and rolling off does a whole lot more.
  7. Pretty sure that comes under "Rolling off the gas", devotard. If you back off the gas when the rear is stepping out, that's how you high-side. It's hard to do, but if you just hang onto the throttle where it is and ride the slide out, it's likely you'll come out of it ok. At worst, you'll low-side, like you said. :p

You only do that if you've already fcuked up the corner. :p :LOL:
  8. Yeah, that kind of plays into the reaction of freezing up. Freezing up often works to your advantage, instead of braking or wildly swerving or target fixating, you just do absolutely nothing- and it all works out. I know I've gone into corners too hot for my skill level at times, and its doing nothing thats made it no problem at all. That was before of course, if I come in too hot now I consciously just keep looking through corner and smoothly lean over a bit more.
  9. I've left enough long black arcs to know what's what with hanging onto the throttle. But regardless there's been times where no amount of throttle finesse or (deluded) confidence could have kept the bike on the wheels, and hindsight says I should have just gotten off. :LOL:
  10. Giving this thread a bump. Seems as though not enough of us appreciate the concept of survival reactions and how they can mess with your riding.

So have a read of the OP :)
  11. I watched the TOTW II Dvd last night, and KC mentions one that I don't see in the list, and that is counter leaning. You try to tighten up in a corner, but instinctively and in panic lift your body to counter the extra bikes lean, and gain diddly squat, so the panic multiplies cause your inputs are seemingly doing nothing.
  12. Good point, because the crossed up body position is definitely a survival reaction. It's probably part of number 6, or should be a whole new one! Well spotted.
  13. I've had three off's on the road.

One of them was directly related to Fixed attention and steering in the direction of the fixed attention. Target fixation is all very well and good if you are a guided missile, but not so good for a road user.

One was caused by over braking.
  14. lol ...is that a missile in your pocket or... actually, nah, leave it at that... 8-[
  15. It always amazes me when looking at these list...

Almost everything thing that you'd naturally do will make you fall off...

No wonder bikes have higher accident figures that cars, it's bloody difficult...
  16. That's why Gotlieb Damlier (sp) invented the car AFTER he invented the motorcycle. Because he realised that the motorcycle could only be ridden properly by intelligent and highly co-ordinated people, so he needed something for the majority of the poplulation to get around in.

Please note that this may not be historically correct.
  17. 2 Wheels Magazine Top 10 Tips for riders

1. Do some rider training
    2. Do some rider training
    3. Do some rider training
    4. Do some rider training
    5. Do some rider training
    6. Do some rider training
    7. Do some rider training
    8. Do some rider training
    9. Do some rider training
    10. Do some rider training

This was in their big 500 issue special.
  18. The next 10 tips would be:

11. Practice what you learned.
    12. Practice what you learned.
    13. Practice what you learned.
    14. Practice what you learned.
    15. Practice what you learned.
    16. Practice what you learned.
    17. Practice what you learned.
    18. Practice what you learned.
    19. Practice what you learned.
    20. Practice what you learned.

Well observed Stigger! We didn't evolve to be bike riders... it sends our lizard brains into overdrive!
  19. Very worthwhile post, Rob...(as usual) :)

I had forgotten some of these...Good reality check, for anyone.

20. ROFLMAO...Scuse me...gotta wash coffee out of my nose!
    You got me good Mick..