Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Survey for Deakin University

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Toecutter, Aug 26, 2008.

1. "Hi all,

As part of my post graduate degree in psychology I am required to
    complete a research thesis. My thesis is looking at how various
    motorcycle riding behaviours (e.g., wearing protective gear, riding at
    night) are related to the risk of having an accident, as well as how
    riding behaviour and crash risk varies with age and sex.

I am currently looking for Australian licensed motorcyclists to complete
    my confidential online survey at

I would also really appreciate it if you could forward this email to
    everyone you know to help complete my research.

Lauren Gook"
  2. done! :grin:
  3. Done.

Just so you know, one of the questions was asked twice. It was asked then 2 spots down later the exact same wording was asked again. I cant recall which question it was though.
  4. Done, Are we pushing the averages yet ;)
  5. I found myself wanting to answer N/A to a lot of questions. Not much good for riders that are rarely in traffic. I felt like I was just going to skew the results for no good reason so didn't submit.
  6. Done as well. From the questions, the people writing these things still don't understand the first thing about motorcycling. I told them so as well.
  7. Also rarely commute, but stumbled through :?

Anyway, opted to get emailed the results so will post up when they come through
  8. Yeah. It annoyed me to the point that I wrote in the comments, among other stuff:

By the way, from the questions I think you still don't understand motorcyclists. For example:
    9. When riding this motorcycle, if another road user cuts-in/tailgates me I feel it's an intrusion of my space.
    should read:
    9. When riding this motorcycle, if another road user cuts-in/tailgates me I feel they are threatening my safety.

Motorcyclists don't get angry because someone gets close to them, they filter and split (yes, there is a difference) between other vehicles all the time, quite safely. Motorcyclists get angry because someone tries to kill them, through malice, ambivalence, apathy, or just plan incompetence.

What sort of Politically Correct, soft worded bullshit is "I feel it's an intrusion of my space." I feel someone intrudes on my space when they stand 5 cm from my chest, and talk directly eye to eye with me, not when they try to change lanes into the side of me on the bike.

Still, you have to keep answering their surveys, and providing feedback, in the hope that they will take notice and learn. A vain hope perhaps, but a small hope just the same.
  9. done - but it seems to have too much focus on attitude and not enough on the things you can tangible control, like protection, defensive riding, choosing the right bike, etc

my 2c worth anyway
  10. Yes, the way I read it, it looked as if it was trying to build some sort of psych profile on various types of riders, hence the soft questions.

I never know how honest I should be in those surveys, because they're often sponsored by various government groups and the results used to validate arsehole policy decisions. Still, I couldn't help but tick the "frequently" box in the 'do you do wheelies?' question. :oops:
  11. What a load of crock. Maybe I should point out to the person running the survey that this is only this rider's opinion ... he certainly does not speak for all.
    I would suspect that it's the intrusion of the 'personal space' that's more of an issue, it might then be rationalised as a safety issue but that's not the way people work.
  12. So when you get an x-ray at the hospital, are they checking to see if your leg is "broken" or "offended" ??
  13. Looks like they're trying to confirm the stereotype that riders buy bikes to be posers, and are menacing assclowns.

Did it anyway :)
  14. done. i even answered the wheelie question honestly. "all the time" :LOL:
  15. Hmmm. So when another road user cuts-in/tailgates you, you are more worried about their invasion of your personal space, than you are about the threat to your safety?

Very strange. When I am riding, I am hyper-sensitive to all external threats, but couldn't care less about my personal space. Detection of a threat comes way before "Hey, this bloke seems to be cosying up to me a bit much." Sometimes people cutting-in is not threat at all, and sometimes a car that looks like a threat is no-where near me.

But you are entitled to your opinion, as am I. That is what a survey is about after all, gathering opinions. :roll:

PS: Thanks Ktulu. :applause: :grin:
  16. I've no problem with that. I did and I am :cool: .
  17. No, I am not 'more worried' about the personal space than the threat to my safety :roll: but it is what many people on the road react to.

Has it occured to you to consider why the person posting the questionnaire talks about 'personal space'? Whilst anyone can be mistaken, my guess is that they know a thing or two about psychology and road behaviour.
    Have you ever noticed the way people behave when they're behind the wheel? Have you ever been abused by a young female driver, for instance, who would never dare to confront you if you were face to face?
    The way people behave has much to do with the subconscious. You are simply thinking about it in your own 'logical' way, and we know very well that people don't always behave logically.

The problem with that perticular question is that the poster assumes people have the capability of understanding this, and from the two replies to my comments it is obvious that they do not.

As somone who has written many consumer surveys, I know how difficult it can be to pose the correct question ... the one that gets to the real 'motive'.

But you guys are so sure of yourselves .... good luck to you :LOL:
  18. I solicited an opinon from a very well known and respected motorcycling academic who shall remain nameless. (Among many other things, he also has post-grad psych quals)

He did the survey and posted this comment - I'd love to see the faces of the researchers when they read it. (Presuming they understand it) I don't think it's what they expect from a bunch of motorcyclists. :grin:

It is very evident that the researchers have neither read, nor learned from, a number of readily available motorcyclist surveys in Australia.

In some of the attitudinal questions some of the better discriminating MMPI or even 16PF would help, and as there is a clear 'risk orientation perspective' in the survey setup, some choice based questions would allow better cluster and discriminant analysis...

the lack of contextual alternatives shows a limited knowledge of choice based behaviour modelling, and the questions are not easily used in a theory of planned behaviour: otherwise not too bad overall!

I'd have liked to have seen some better background questions to correct for sample frame bias against census and population data as well