Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Surface rust on brake dics

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by V4bloke, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Have a decent amount of surface rust on front and rear discs as the bike was sitting for 8 months before I bought it.

The discs look fine with plenty of meat on them, but the rust hasn't come off with a ride like it normally would after a shorter amount of time left sitting idle.

What is the best way to remove the rust without damaging the surface of the disc?

2. Go for a ride. If you take it easy for a bit, it should be fine.

3. +1 Whatever you do don't jam the front brake on too hard for the first few stops because it will lock up with the surface rust.
    This happened to me on a old dirt bike, luckily on softish ground.
    A bike mechanic friend of mine told me that the rust builds up on the pad and the groove in the middle of the pad. It's like having dirt in there which gives the pad more grab until it wears off.

I suppose it also depends on how rusty the disc is in the first place.
    must admit my dirt bike had alot of rust on the disc

4. a flat sanding block and some emmry paper will be your friend

5. While riding it, sit on the brake for a bit.. That should polish it right up!

6. Thanks guys :)