Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Surely...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Owen, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Hey guys, look im wondering about the difference between my current bike (zeal 250) and the gs 500. If it is twice the engine size then SURELY it has some fair advantages in power? Ive had my bike for over a year and basically wanna change. Was wanting to get a twin before i go unrestricted to see which engine type of prefer better, and am wondering about the GS500.

Thoughts please :p

Thanks, Owen

PS. I hope all you men out there are growing a mo for movember!

2. The GS500 has a larger engine but it's air cooled, has less cylinders and is in a lower state of tune than the average 4-cylinder 250. So even though it's twice the capacity you only get a 30% increase in power (but a 75% increase in torque). Basically don't expect much difference in top speed - but there should be a noticeable difference in acceleration (and you won't have to rev the engine anywhere near as much)

3. I had a Zeal and now have the GS. Have to agree with JD about the acceleration, there is heaps more there.

Top speed on the Zeal was 140km (on the track before it went kaboom :oops: ) but I'm not sure with the GS, have had it to 165km but too chicken to go any higher :oops: and it was still picking up.

I am really happy with my GS, very comfy for the long trips - no dreaded numb bum etc, but I did put a screen on to try and cut down on the vibration.

4. You might also want to look at the ER-5. I has a few CC's advantage over the GS and produces a few more horses and more torque. It's no racer, but given that you've had the Zeal already you may appreciate a little extra get up and go. :)

5. 140kmph? Thats gutless, I have hit 140km in 3rd gear on the Balius! However I am in the same boat as you Owen, I want to get a twin as I am sick of reving the guts out of my bike just to get somewhere.

However I probably wouldn't bother with spending extra cash on a GS if you plan to upgrade at a later date. I am planing to trade for a traily or a zzr or a vtr.

Have you considered an ER-5?

Stephen

6. The GS500 is a great all round bike. Cheap, easy to maintain, good in traffic and sound dam good with an after market can on them.

I had one for awhile and the only bad thing I'd say about it is, don't put too bigger Givi box on the back, can make them prone to big head shakes if you do.

I mucked with mine a lot and it was a very cool bike in the end.

Here's some pics...

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/DJ1976/GS500E Project/

7. I am still restricted though, is the ER-5 Learner legal?
    I want to do some touring, and if i sell my zeal for around $3500 its only a grand or so to a get a modern GS.

8. Should be. It's certainly legal under NSW Lams so i guess SA is the same. :)

9. That looks wicked Red ninja!!!

also have a Gs, great bike i can't fault it atm however i'm selling mine due to wanting a very sexy gixxer 600.. and cos i have a bit more cash now :)

10. Thanks, it was a lot of work and it did look good in the end. But I got bored with it because I also had a Hayabusa at the time. So I sold it to some kid in NSW. He was very happy with his learner legal baby gixxer :)

11. From what i can see, the GS seems to sell alot cheaper 2nd hand than the er-5. Would be nice to know what i could get for my zeal so i can see how much i have to budget to upgrade to either one (im a uni student).

Redninja: That GS of yours looked awesome. Good work. How much did the body set you back?

12. GS500

Hey guys,

I ride a GS500E and its ACE !

Admittedly It’s the first bike I’ve owned (I am still on my P’s) but I ride it every day to work, its great through the city traffic, and can hold its own on weekends getting out of town on longer rides.

I have only had it up to about 150 K’s and hour but it sure seems to have more in it.

Slightly off topic but rednija did the after market pipe make much of a performance difference? I would like to tweak mine up a little nothing major, as I like the way it looks but have thought about a new pipe.

Anyway would recommend a GS to anybody, it’s a good solid mid size machine.

P.S. if anybody else can recommend any decent upgrades for a GS I am listening….

13. All up Owen it was about $750. It was from Brazil and it was a real lot of work to get on teh bike well, I wouldn't do it again.

I think it did to be honest, it seemed to pickup faster and maybe a few extra k's to a tank in the city. Dam good sound (real mean) and the pipe was off the US Ebay site and was about AU$220 delivered. It was a Cobra F1 from memory. You have to cut your existing exhaust system neck to fit a pi[pe to this bike, so measure twice before you cut if you do.

14.  Top
  15. Nice bike Red ninja, show it to hubby and he got more ideas in his head. :roll: Bad move by me I think. :LOL: .

Well sold my zeal as you know Owen. For the gs it was the prefect up grade for me, It handles heavy traffic really good, So I found out the other day, :wink: And loves long trips, But I'm looking into a new exhaust just to give it a little more grunt and sound to it. And it is great having a bike that you don't have to rind it's head off to get somewhere. So I can not fault mine. Even hubby like's it to ride around town that is, he's more of a gixxer man, god help me. He even complain's it gets more TLC then him. :shock: :LOL:
    Cheers Lou

16. Nice bike Red ninja, show it to hubby and he got more ideas in his head. :roll: Bad move by me I think. :LOL: .

Well sold my zeal as you know Owen. For the gs it was the prefect up grade for me, It handles heavy traffic really good, So I found out the other day, :wink: And loves long trips, But I'm looking into a new exhaust just to give it a little more grunt and sound to it. And it is great having a bike that you don't have to rind it's head off to get somewhere. So I can not fault mine. Even hubby like's it to ride around town that is, he's more of a gixxer man, god help me. He even complain's it gets more TLC then him. :shock: :LOL:
    Cheers Lou

17. There's a good reason for that. :)

18. And would that reason be because the ER-5 is no longer in production?

19. I'd say it's more to do with the fact that a lot more GS500s were sold than ER5s - more used bikes means lower prices.

20. Not really grasshopper. Many more GS's were sold but most of them were the faired version (an option not offered by the ER-5).

ER-5 will fetch more because it's a better bike. On paper, the GS appears to have better brakes and rear suspension but a road test will show the difference (if any) to be negligable. [Note: when looking at an ER-5 check the rotor width carefully as undesized roters kill the braking performance] Between the two, the deciding punch comes from whichever bike delivers the biggest punch and, the duck punches hardest. Neither of them are sportsbikes and neither of them are fast but for similar handling characterisics, it makes sence that folks will pay more for the faster bike.

I haven't anything against the GS, in fact I rode and liked the bike. The GS is a tidy performer, but given that it took me less than a year to get bored with the ER-5 and move on the GS would have been out the door in weeks. :)