Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Suqestions on buying a CBR250RR

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Digitalwingx, Dec 3, 2008.

1. I am new here need some help on buying my first bike CBR250RR.

Here are some questions I have for buying a bike:

- What's the difference between CBR250RR, CBR250R and CBR250?
    - MC14/17/19/22, what does it mean and how to check it?
    - What will be a good mileage and price for a 2nd-hand CBR250RR?
    - I like the Repsol paint job. Is it worthy to pay extra for it?
    - Should I buy it from a dealer for private sale?

- Some other websites to let me get some more info about buying a bike?

2. Do a search on here, the answer lies within.
  3. I'm still trying to figure this out...

But what's the appeal of a CBR250R?
  4. semi sporty looking bike?

I have one - cost me next to nothing, goes well for what it is and i dont like cruisers or nakeds as much so was a pretty straight forward decision really
  5. It's a capable 250cc sports motorcycle. What's to figure out?

On that note, a lot of people wouldn't get the SR - 400 single, shitty brakes and suspension fashioned from left over clothes peg springs. I happen to love 'em though.
  6. I'm assuming that you are on your L's or red P's.....

Remember that Victoria now has LAMS laws for L & P's so you are no longer restricted to 250's....

There's a whole range of bikes out there that aren't flogged to death & gutless.

Just a suggestion :cool: :cool:
  7. Excellent bikes. Definitely one of the best bikes to buy if your into sports bikes.

Do a lot of research. There is a lot of information already posted here and particularly at cbr250.com

Plenty of things to be wary about. If your new to bikes get any potential purchase checked thoroughly by a mechanic.
  8. Suggestion on buying a CBR250RR?

Don't. How about that one? Have a look at the LAMS list. Compared to other bikes you can get the CBR is old, overpriced and not particularly well appointed. You also get the joy of a grey import that has likely been flogged half to death. It is a first bike, this is a tool to learn on.
  9. can you import these new from o/s??
  10. :LOL: They stopped making them in '96, were sold as new here until '98.

However, they are probably still being imported by sumoto, bikebiz and the like. They will likely have been outside in a uncovered storage lot for 10 years.

In non-lams states, the pre 1994 models are one of the fastest available 4 strokes. I got a motorcycle because fast cars are too expensive.
    (yeah yeah I know, a 'real' motorcycle would be much faster/better/etc)

Specifically the CBR250RR series are appealing because they were sold HERE by Honda Australia. Thus parts availability on these old dinosaurs is less of an issue.
  11. you can drive a v6 on your L / P plates in a car

my cbr has about as much power in it as a V6 falcon or the likes. its got plenty more than my mums 1.8 L corolla and about as much as my mates 6 cylinder falcon.

in the same way you can drive V8's on your car P's. neither can you ride a 600 sport or a 1000.

think of a CBR250RR as a powerful, well handling bike to learn on. they dont have a lot of down low grunt but you can rev the tits off them. a cbr will easily do any legal speed you ask of it and even exceed the speed limit with ease. it has more than enough power to get you into and out of trouble on the road.

they are fun / light / powerful for a learner bike.
    they may be old but they only hold an expensive price tag as they are so damn reliable. how else could an engine that revs up to 19000 rpm last more than 120,000km's without a rebuild?

i love mine. i couldntve bought a better learner bike IMO

its about 30 times more fun than my mates brand spankers GS500 or my mates old NSR150 (2 stroke). it also more than out performs my brothers suzuki across (gsx250f).

what are you waiting for?

buying a "visibly" dropped one is just as good as buying a "non-visibly" dropped one. theyve all been dropped. even if its from parking it on grass and hte side stand digging in.

good luck !
  12. Firstly, the Falcon is an Inline 6. And for the forseeable future, and as long as Ford wants to sell Falcons, it's damn well going to stay that way.

Secondly, a Falcon in bog standard form develops 260 HP, compared to the 40-45 HP from a CBR250. Therefore a Falcon is roughly five times more powerful in absolute terms. So I'll assume you're talking about relative power to weight.

Thirdly, a Falcon (wet) delivers 140 HP per tonne, whereas a CBR250 (wet) delivers between 170 HP to 190 HP per tonne depending on model. So a CBR250 should theoretically outdrag a Falcon until wind resistance becomes an issue.

Okay, glad I've got that out of my system. :LOL:

13. My brakes are still shit, but the suspension on mine is pretty gucci :grin:

In non-lams state i get it, but in Victoria, where there's lots of capable 250's around I'm struggling to see it.

Then again, if someone wants to lend me their four pot screamer I'd be glad to take it for a ride to understand. :cool:
  14. Hmmm th thanks for all the replies... I am a little confused. I do think CBR250RR is a bit expensive for a first bike. Ideally I would spend around 2~4k on a first bike (that I will damage...).

NSR150 is another choice, but I heard it's expensive to maintain that bike.

I am pretty tall (6.1) and I heard CBR250RR is a bit small.

Any suggestions on any other sport bikes?

15. Erm, what's the attraction of a "sports" bike?

If it's some perceived performance advantage.......

Most multi cylinder watercooled 4 stroke 250s are vaguely similar in outright performance some "feel" faster......when a cbr250 guys says his bike craps all over a vtr250 or across/whatever over a quarter mile for example, in reality we're talking about a couple of bike lengths at very most at the end of that distance.

Over 120, the faired 4cyl "sports" 250s do have an advantage over the unfaired, but once again, if you are going to spend any significant time over 120 (on a private road/racetrack, of course) there are several larger engined lams bikes far more suitable to the task.

At 6"1, many of the faired 250s (or larger aggressive bikes for that matter) may be starting to feel a little cramped.

Have you considered a naked bike to get started? (ie vtr250, gsf250 etc etc), less costs involved when you inevitably drop it (first bike and all) there's no fairing to break.

They may appear less sexy (some would say more), but if you think you are not going to be able to keep up with the "sports" bikes, it won't be because of the bike :) ......I certainly wouldn't say they're any less fun either

The cbr250rr in good condition is a great bike, but frankly most people are paying a premium for a small edge they are very unlikely to exploit.
  16. I agree with people paying to much for a cbr250rr. In some cases, far too much. I wouldn't pay over 4k for one, unless it was very good condition or had very low genuine mileage.

However all 250's are generally overpriced, including vtr250's. The old spada's can fetch prices not that far short of the cbr's.

Dropping a cbr250rr at low speed won't break the fairing. Previous owner of my bike sent it scraping on its side, down the road. Fairing was unscathed, engine cover however...
  17. There's not much wrong with a cbr in good nick, they are a pretty tightly focused bike and that is part of the appeal, the pricing reflects the fact that there isn't much out there of similar age/capacity offering the same degree of focus, ie fairing, screaming engine, aggressive riding position, excellent handling etc.

I don't think the cbr250s are necessarily overpriced.....I mean whatever someone will pay is ultimately the right price, isn't it?.

I think if the options have been explored and a CBR is the choice, excellent.

There is a misguided perception amongst the poorly informed that the CBR250 is the only 250 worth riding if you want to go fast/have fun because it's supposedly "the fastest 250".........much like 10+ yrs ago when the perception was similar towards RGVs. Leading to a bunch of fresh learners having perhaps steeper learning curves than otherwise necessary.

I do like seeing Arrowmaxes on CBRs though, hilarious, it's like seeing crossplys on a Lotus :grin:

Costs for faired bikes vs naked when dropped will usually be lower for the naked.......it will cost regardless though

Spada's still fetch good prices because they rock :p
  18. you are a big feller who is asking about a small bike? thats fine.

im about 180cm or so and about 80 kilos. i chuck around my cbr like theres no tomorrow. i have a tyga fairing on mine (or did untill my crash the other day) and it had more room to incorperate my slightly larger frame. Perfect!

the bike is small. you will not find a 150kg bike which is big (unless it is a trailie). CBR's are made for one purpose, to be ridden hard. undeniably everyone does it and they rarely fail.

if you arent looking for a bit which will keep you on the edge the whole time and you are after something with a bit more down low grunt and more comfort, a sports bike is probably not going to be your first option. have you looked at GS500's, VTR250's, ZZR250's, GPX250's or anything similar ?
  19. There is no 'inevitable' dropping of a first bike. It may be a possibility someone may like to consider though.

CBR250s are not the steam off a sportsbike's piss. While those who own them may believe they are Honda's gift to the learner market, do not err in referring to them as a sportsbike. When you've ridden more bikes and gained some experience, you will come to understand.

You will find better specified and more powerful/torquey (the important bit) bikes in the LAMS list. If you wish to go and spend $5k on a bike with pretty colours and an alloy frame that has likely been sitting in a seaside bike graveyard in Japan for years, fill your boots. I'm humbly suggesting that there are other options out there you owe it to yourself to consider.